top planks for running gear

Featured Posts

I'm in the process of sorting new top planks for the running gear. the rest is all bought new stands and cross planks and new mast box wood.

I'm going to use Douglas fir for the top planks. I've had a few quotes but most due to width price shoots up silly amounts but a company near me can do 5m lengths of 150-200mm by 100mm but are happy to cut in half to make 150-200 by 45 for a silly cheap price it works out to about £20 a 5m plank i need to measure fully as may get it cheaper by getting a 3.6m planks but not 100% sure there long enough. ill then get a plank at 300mm wide for the join parts.

my question is if I put 2 150mm by 45 planks next to eachother and used some 12-14mm big stainless coach bolts and nuts every 1/2 meter would this still be strong enough and not to flexable? I.e the bolts make the 2 planks act as 1 big plank so you don't get wobble between each foot

p.s. I realise it's ment to be 1 plank but 75-80% cost savings mean other work can be done elts where

I'm just in the process of making top planks for two Woolwiches. It all depends whether you want sawn or dried. I have fresh sawn which has behaved impeccably for three years so far with no twisting or cupping.

Regards

Dan

I used fresh sawn Larch for Usk which I bought waney edged and cut it square myself.

It worked out much cheaper than getting it machined at the timber yard and there were plenty of usable bits from the edges left over for other jobs (and some firewood too).

It stayed dead straight for four plus years.

I guess the Timber merchant who I got it from has retired now though.

Devon! I'm hoping to get them delivered to Birmingham if thats any use. so there would be no delivery fee to you anyways if you wanted some. ill prob be getting 8 anyways as have 2 boats to do.

How soon you talking about ordering? I need some nowish but need to confirm sizes. Ours won't be structural at all and are just to be in the right place on the inside of our undercloth conversion bit. Overkill I know, but....

Ian.

2 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

I can get cheaper. 12 x 2 x 16'. 

Just ordered ten in. Not an issue to get more if needed.

what about delivery? also how much?

to the above ill prob be ordering with in a month