Rickmansworth Festival

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Is it safe to come out have you passed Berkhampstead yet? 

:offtopic: I'm curious why, as a local, you choose to use an old spelling of the town's name that has not been used in many many decades?

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

:offtopic: I'm curious why, as a local, you choose to use an old spelling of the town's name that has not been used in many many decades?

Don't know could be spellchecker or just an error not that I make many of them. 

13 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I always spell it as BERKHAMPSTEAD, but then I do spend a lot of time with my head in the past :captain: 

2 hours ago, pete harrison said:

I always spell it as BERKHAMPSTEAD, but then I do spend a lot of time with my head in the past :captain: 

And I'm sure you know that the butty of that name, (or the butty masquerading as the butty of that name) has carried multiple spelling over the years.

The last known use I can think of for the Berkhampstead spelling used to be on the cast iron gates of the former gas works, and could still be viewed in the 1970s, (possibly later?).