Padworth lock K&A

KenM

Featured Posts

26th Mar ufn. A disappointment to anyone heading out to the Thames now that Blakes lock is open - one of the top gates went AWOL yesterday. CRT on site are aiming for the weekend to reopen but - dont hold them to it. If they can fish the gate out tomorrow perhaps Thursday some time.

Note that Aldermaston lock has been temporarily padlocked denying access to the water point and elsan below. If anyone needing water walks down to see the lads at Padworth they can provide the lock combination.

DSC_0811.JPG

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Allegedly the boater concerned sailed off into the sunset without reporting the incident. Also, allegedly, there is CCTV n the area!

Yup ABC yard have cctv and believed it to be a plastic broads type cruiser ie.not one of their hirers (which Saints forgive me, was my first thought)

1 hour ago, KenM said:

Yup ABC yard have cctv and believed it to be a plastic broads type cruiser ie.not one of their hirers (which Saints forgive me, was my first thought)

It seems highly unlikely that a plastic boat would have enough mass to completely remove a gate from view. 

I can imagine one lifting a gate off the pintle but not breaking the collar too and tipping the whole thing into the cut, balance beam included. I'd have thought the balance beam at least would have remained caught on the bank.

22 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It seems highly unlikely that a plastic boat would have enough mass to completely remove a gate from view. 

I can imagine one lifting a gate off the pintle but not breaking the collar too and tipping the whole thing into the cut, balance beam included. I'd have thought the balance beam at least would have remained caught on the bank.

Lock re- opened this afternooon.

There might have been an underlying fault with the collar, but the boat was GRP and the whole shooting match, beam 'n all ended up on the bottom.