Leisure Moorings on The Chesterfield Canal

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

As many will be aware we moor our boat at Retford & Worksop Boat Club on The Chesterfield Canal. We have been there around 5 years now.

29177023_10155549524273845_7110304099236

When we moved from our previous moorings at Hatherton Marina (Cannock area) it was because we wanted a change and an opportunity to see a different area of the canal network. Being so involved with Chesterfield Canal Trust it seemed logical that we would do well to get to know "our" canal by boat so we thought that we could perhaps spend a couple of years there before moving on, we were fairly sure that we would have completely fulfilled our quest to know the canal well if we stayed a couple of years. In fact we have come to love where we moor so much that we can't foresee us moving on any time soon! 

When we joined the club we put our name on the waiting list for a mooring. We were very fortunate, although there were a number of boats on the waiting list. this also coincided with a number of boats leaving and so we just sneaked a mooring that first year with people after us on the list having to wait longer. We were told this was absolutely unheard of in around 20 years. There has always been a waiting list for moorings at the club as long as the longest memory can recall (and trust me, there are some VERY long memories among the membership). Over the past few years it seems that the number of boats joining the waiting list for moorings has pretty much equaled the number of boats leaving meaning that while nobody had to wait very long there was never any spare spaces. Then suddenly this year with several of those "long memories" recently giving up their boats (but not their club membership) a situation has come about where there are spaces available. 

For those of you who do not know, there is an active social scene at the club which is open 3 nights a week (Wednesday, Friday and Saturday) Each mooring has mains hook up, there are water points at regular intervals along the moorings, an elsan and rubbish/recycling skip and a paved path to each mooring with night time low level illumination. There is also Wifi at the club house which extends a good way along the moorings. 

The moorings are delightfully rural. We regularly see kingfishers, Kestrel, woodpeckers, a barn owl and deer from our mooring and we have watched weasels playing on the towpath. The range of birds that come to the hedges and bird feeders is impressive too. There are a couple of pubs in the village along with a really lovely church. neighbouring villages have great pubs too. Retford is around an hour's cruise away (10 minutes by car) if you want to take a trip to a major metropolis which has a great range of shops and is steeped in history as a town. You can moor outside Aldi or Asda for shopping. Pump out facilities are half a day away in West Stockwith (where there is also a great pub so you may as well stay overnight!) 

If you love really pretty canals then you will love The Chesterfield Canal. The main difference between this canal and some of the other pretty ones is that it is very quiet. You are very unlikely to ever have to worry about whether the moorings will be full or see a queue at a lock. One bank holiday Monday there was a huge rush when 5 boas past ours. 4 of them were boats from our moorings who were going to the winding hole and back again :) 

Like most boat clubs the moorings are very good value for money. In return members are expected to take an active part in supporting the club. Like any organisation they need a range of skills and experience to keep things going and everyone finds they have something they can add which is not too onerous upon them. With such a great bunch of members there is usually some fun to be had. At present there are art classes take place each week and we have a country and western singer this coming weekend with a sausage supper. 

Please feel free to get in touch with the membership secretary if you want to know more information. 

29133954_10155549524368845_1832524595148

I may try and dig out a few pictures of our beautiful moorings to add to this thread if I get time. In the mean time I will leave you a photo I took last Tuesday when I arrived at our boat to find the kingfisher perched on our bow

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/28782685_10156044285749070_5224449839780719013_n.jpg?_nc_eui2=v1%3AAeGU6WTrcsyyQLh5MEZdjAY9R-1qMEVP5HXAoAOvavpl9G2EXB1VjOUOTOgZGjsTBaGeRmD-6cUaWyC3bT1IPvxard-JjF-CZoltFvBS0zFfsw&oh=a8cb5876ff3619b3b085d78e4255a89d&oe=5B42D71C

Edited by cheshire~rose

Having visited last year, I'd just like to give a big thumbs up to everything C Rose has written. I'd also add that the Trent should be given the respect it deserves, but Torksey to West Stockwith is quite an enjoyable trip, as is Keadby to West Stockwith. If nothing else, The Chesterfield should be on your radar for a visit.

54 minutes ago, John Hartley said:

Great location, lovely people, excellent facilities but do not let the Trent put you off. Treat it with respect take advice and you will be rewarded by an excellent trip. 

The problem is with some of the neighbours though John :)