Rather nice canalsise property

WotEver

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Peter X said:

The last prisoner held there was during WW2 I believe, but I suppose in theory it could still be used.

However the Tower is residential, a few dozen Beefeaters live there, and for good reason because they guard the Crown Jewels. It won't feature in the EC3 figures although it's been there since 1078, because it's never been sold. The internal square feet must be a lot less than the external of course, but neither matter; external square feet is the usual basis on which insurance companies calculate rebuilding costs, but (1) like all government buildings it won't be insured and (2) insurance companies probably have a different formula for castles.

Apparently the last prisoners held in the Tower were the Kray twins!

Tim

5 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

The Tower of London is also not in the City of London, it is an outpost of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets.

Tim

I did not know that. However it is in the EC3 postcode area; postcode areas and local government areas commonly overlap like this.

If anyone wants to write to them, it's EC3N 4AB

3 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Tim

Apparently so, in 1952. And what was the heinous crime which led to this incarceration?

- Failing to report for National Service!

7 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Tim

I did not know that either! Maybe it should be used for keeping prisoners again, if only to deny them that place in the history books. Can anyone go to prison for tasteless conversion of an old canalside pub?