Batteries and BSS - Juno

Featured Posts

Juno is having her BSS in the next two weeks: she hasn't moved in anger since 2012 although I hope this will change this summer, after all, if Lutine is being refurbed I gotta go boating somehow!

Last BSS we (that is the BSS examiner and I) removed all trace of the gas system, as it was a monumental fail otherwise, so she now has no gas at all. However she still has petrol and leccy: the petrol system is as was, and I can't see why it would fail, although I doubt the engine would start. 

The electrical systems were largely non-functioning last time, only a few lights worked, and my guess is they are now totally non-functioning, not least because the batteries are flatter than a very flat thing. The wiring is as per the last test, which was passed, but is it better to leave everything in situ or whip out the batteries (and perhaps the cables as far as the fuse box) and deny all knowledge of a functioning electrical system?

I suppose I could go the whole hog and take the engine off as well...

12 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Take the electrics and engine off and I don't think you need a BSC

But you will as soon as you put it back...

So might be better to get passed what will pass and have some crumb of legality than have it on record as "not required"?

37 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Take the electrics and engine off and I don't think you need a BSC

If you have a cabin then you need a BSS (but it will be pretty simple with no fuel, no gas, no electrics and no engine) If it is without a cabin and then it is classed as an 'open boat'.

You don’t need a certificate if you have a privately owned ‘open boat’ with no motor, eg a canoe, paddleboard or rowboat.

Some other types of boat (eg privately owned ‘open boats’ with outboard motors and no electrical systems) may also be exempt.

From Q&As

My boat is very small and has an outboard motor, do I need BSS Certification?

On most waterways, a BSS Examination is not required in respect of any privately owned, open vessel (i.e. a vessel in which all the accommodation is completely open to the elements) if it has no domestic cooking, heating, refrigerating or lighting appliances installed and it is propelled solely by an outboard engine. The decision rests with the navigation authority that will be licensing or registering your boat.

Edited by Alan de Enfield