Queenie making a recovery

seaandland

Featured Posts

Sadly after returning home to their base from Marple Locks Festival, Queenie the horse that tows Maria was rushed to the equine hospital in Liverpool. Her life was saved but she will be unable to work the boat again for some six months.It is thought that the problem may have been caused by someone feeding Queenie the wrong sort of food whilst in the park at Marple.

DSC03876.jpg

Queenie (The Horseboating Society) Pic taken at Middlewich.

Sadly after returning home to their base from Marple Locks Festival, Queenie the horse that tows Maria was rushed to the equine hospital in Liverpool. Her life was saved but she will be unable to work the boat again for some six months.It is thought that the problem may have been caused by someone feeding Queenie the wrong sort of food whilst in the park at Marple.

DSC03876.jpg

Queenie (The Horseboating Society) Pic taken at Middlewich.

What happened to her? Surely cholic from improper food wouldn't keep a horse down that long would it?

It was probably bits of Yorkie or something equally stupid.

People can be a bit clueless when it comes to animals.

Anyway, we wish Queenie a speedy recovery..

PS have you got any pics of her working ?

Edited by NB Willawaw

It was probably bits of Yorkie or something equally stupid.

People can be a bit clueless when it comes to animals.

Anyway, we wish Queenie a speedy recovery..

PS have you got any pics of her working ?

Here's one.

708270728_37be63013f_b.jpg

Also loads in the gallery page at The Horseboating Society

Here's the full story from Sue Day herself,

The local press turned out to photograph us as we left on Saturday for Marple.We had a pleasant trip despite

showers.We reached the Top Lock to be welcomed by the Alcards who had offered grazing for Queenie on the

very site of the boatyard of James Jinks where Maria was built. Maria was moored alongside their boat where

she would have been launched in 1854. People remarked that Maria had come home.

On the event day, Sunday, we made our way down 4 locks to the Memorial Park. The sun shone then it poured!

The crew ate lunch beside Queenie's paddock in the park. Some public were stroking her then had to be

asked not to feed her as they suddenly produced bread rolls. Possibly that was the start of the trouble.

At 2pm as arranged, I talked about the work of the society and harnessed Queenie up. Many members of the

public followed us down the locks to see us operate as we set off for home.Queenie worked keenly and we made

rapid progress downhill - always much faster than uphill.

We fastened on our tunnel headlight and hastened on. Queenie walked rapidly, knowing we were headed for

home.The rain torrented down just before we stopped for a break for Queenie.

Only then did I know something was wrong. She did not want to eat grass and soon lay down. We observed her

while we had a quick snack. She rose of her own accord when we were due to go again. I wondered if she had a

mild attack of colic. Queenie has never had one day's illness in the 10 years with me. We harnessed up and

she now proceeded slowly. Sometimes colic can be averted by a walk. We went on slowly, not pushing her

at all. The rain heaved down on us.

We eventually reached the boatyard at 9pm as planned, our second finishing post, but Queenie was clearly

unwell. Leaving crew to put Maria on her mooring, Queenie was taken home instantly in the horsebox and

rugged up.

As soon as she entered the field she began to roll in discomfort so the vet was called immediately at

10.30pm. She confirmed colic and gave painkillers.We discussed the options. I kept up watch over the next

hours. By 2.30 pm Queenie was rolling again. I phoned to say I wanted Queenie to go to the equine hospital.

The vet returned to examine Queenie again and sedate her for the journey in the horsebox.

I had asked Nigel to be on stand-by. However when I phoned at 3am he was probably fast asleep in bed. I

soon found the driving to be very dangerous. After a long horseboating trip and getting soaked, I was very

tired. The rumble strips jolted me twice as I drifted out of the motorway lane. A truck stop provided the

essential coffee.

At 6am, Queenie was unloaded at Liverpool University's Equine Hospital. She had taken 9 days to travel to

Liverpool with Maria. Thank heavens for motor transport too, for a journey now of 2 hours!

After examination, Queenie was rushed straight in for colic surgery.I questioned the vets closely about this

as it is a huge step.

I tumbled back to the horsebox and got one hour's sleep to awake to the bustle of the hospital yard.

I anxiously awaited news of Queenie. She pulled through the op and I observed her through an

inspection window where she was recovering from the anaesthetic in a padded recovery room. Not a pretty

sight. Pouring with sweat and staggering around.Within an hour however she looked bright and was transferred

to a stable.

She is on a critical list and at high risk for at least two days to see if the guts begin their movement

again.She is on an intravenous drip to prevent hydration.

Professor Chris Proudman explained that she had a blockage of a firm impaction in the small intestines.

This he has eased by palpitation and he has cleared and removed the blockage.

Had he not operated Queenie would have died.

He was kind to praise my decision to get her in quickly. It is tempting to see if the colic will pass

over a few hours. However this allows toxins to build up.

He was very interested to hear about Queenie's work. I hope we can make him a Proud Man that he has saved her

life. She is of course there amongst all types of horses - children's ponies to Grand National

racehorses.

Queenie will not be able to work pulling boats or carriages for 6 months after this abdominal surgery.

The cause? Unknown. Could it have been the bread rolls fed by the public at lunchtime? Nothing can be proved.

I asked about the expression "busting a gut". Could her towing work have caused it? He assured me that her

work would not have been the cause of a blockage.

Insured? No. It is common for people who own many horses not to insure their horses. Of course she is

covered for public liability but not vet fees.

Cost? £3,000 for the operation. Plus £1,000-£2,000 for aftercare now.

I always laugh when people say horseboating is the cheap way.

>From 1997, Queenie started working at Calder Valley Cruising on the Rochdale Canal, delighting thousands

of passengers annually until closure in 2004.

1998 Cheshire Ring and IWA National Salford Quays

2001 Shared the Huddersfield Narrow with Bonny

2002 South Pennine Ring and IWA National Huddersfield

2005 16 tons of limestone on Maria out of Bugsworth Basin, and 10 tons to IWA National Preston Brook

2006 18 tons of limestone (plus 2 of water!) to Ashton

2007 Coal and Cotton to and from the World Canals Conference at Liverpool

Her guests of honour include Fred Dibnah on Elland, Robin Evans on Maria, and David Suchet on Gifford.

Clever Queenie.

Please do not phone me to ask about her progress.Emails are ok. Assume no news means she is

coming on OK. It's an upsetting time for me now.

Meanwhile Bonny has been served but scanned not in foal so far. She will take on the boatwork from

Queenie now this season.

Rick

Beautiful hos, shame but seeing what people feed their dogs I am not surprised

Animals with no insurance not a good idea, a Patterdale with broken leg will cost you £1000+ otherwise

best of luck to Sue and Queenie

coalcotton3130.jpg

getting ready for starters orders on her return from liverpool , the horse and the people who handle her and the boat brought the kids out on to the towpath.

hope she does return to the canals.

• 2 weeks later...