Featured Posts

Whilst, in all likely-hood our first built-new boat, is still years of saving and a second-hand boat away, the Missus and I have began to plot out an imaginary vision of NB Pirate Queen Grania. We've started talking about different layouts, different options and styles, even divining how many children we plan on allowing into our lives. We have nearly settled on a vision of a 70', trad-stern tug for the lines, size and a few clever idea we have for the space under the tug deck. Now, in an arse backwards manner, we're trying to learn a bit more about the tug style.

We want to know how the tugs were used, we can't see how a spacious front deck would lend itself to towing so we assume that the tug was used to push and brake butties in days past but we are curious as to any history of their work.

We're also after good stories and recommendations of tug builders and tugs built we want to start looking into things as soon as possible.

Style and dimensions are also things we are wondering about. Did the tugs have a traditional boatmans cabin or did the layout differ a bit, what about the engine room or even the engine. We will obviously be deviating from tradition by fitting it out as a liveaboard boat but having children, we want as much of the boat to be a learning experience so we can help to keep the history of the boats alive in some form.

I've seen a few tug topics, and resurrected one, but I haven't really seen the answers to these questions, so have at it if you will. We're eager to learn.

The ultimate 'Tugs' were surely the ones on the Bridgewater, there are photo's of them pulling four or five loaded barges. The entire fleet of twenty or so were converted from steam to diesel in the 1930's. A chap on my mooring many years ago had a 2/3 size replica (they had a beam of 9+ feet) it is still around on the system somewhere, name Broadheath I think. All the craft had the names of towns or villages along the line of the canal.

Yeah, the bridge water tugs had serous steam plants in them!

- Of cause there was then pusher tugs, which do need a degree of deck space out front. They werent 70ft tho...

- Then again, very few dutch barges where anywhere near 6'10" wide, so maybe i should shut up, lol.

Daniel

I found this site also thanks to Johns information. http://alltalkthomas.co.uk/steamers_intro.htm

Some good pictures of the old steam tugs. Seems like a good portion of the cabin was devoted to the engine. I notice a lot of them say they have a cabin fore and aft... which sounds different from the boatmans cabin found on 'traditional' setups, but I can see that from the setup of the old cargo boats. In fact it seems like todays 'traditional' layout is probably more tug than cargo based.

Edited by Jason Wilson and Family

Hi

If you're looking to have a traditional BCN style tug built, go to Norton Canes Boatbuilders near Cannock in the West Midlands - but only if you want absolutely top quality authentic steelwork. They are superb. My 60' tug Resolute was built there and was reviewed in July 06 Waterways World. The yard's website is www. nortoncanesboatbuilders.co.uk

The planked over foredeck made working locks easy. Rather than clambering over gates, you simply crossed the tug deck.

Good luck

Dave Moore

You're biased dave - you do work there !! :rolleyes:

Indeed I do. I regard Norton Canes as my "home" yard. I also work widely over the system and are therefore familiar with the output of many, many builders. NCBB are regarded in the trade as the top quality shell builder and it's the one facet of your boat that you can't readily change.

Cheers

Dave

NCBB are regarded in the trade as the top quality shell builder and it's the one facet of your boat that you can't readily change.

Cheers

Dave

This is old ground but I think you mean 'one of' the top quality shell builders. Definitely one of the elite though.