Anyone know anything about this boat?

carlt

Featured Posts

Ah it's been craned out - that explains why I didn't see it where I last did, because it was still in the water then.

I wonder how much experience the boatyard has of craning 71' 6" foot of rather unkempt wooden butty ?

It would be rather nice to hope it still floated as well when (if ?) put back, but I can't help thinking if they have just put a couple of slings under it it may have suffered some stresses it's not been used to for many years.

I guess the demand for wooden "project" buttys is not going to be great, but equally I imagine the number of Ricky buttys surviving full length and unmotorised must be quite small now, (I haven't tried counting).

It would be nice if someone had the resources......

]'=

I guess the demand for wooden "project" buttys is not going to be great, but equally I imagine the number of Ricky buttys surviving full length and unmotorised must be quite small now, (I haven't tried counting).

There are probably more Big Rickys surviving than any other wooden butty, though I don't know how many are unmotorised.

There are probably more Big Rickys surviving than any other wooden butty, though I don't know how many are unmotorised.

How careful would you need to be craning out a boat like that, please, Carl ?

Is letting it dry out on the side going to be "a bad thing", or am I simply demonstrating a total lack of understanding of what kills, (or maybe what helps), wooden boats ?

Is letting it dry out on the side going to be "a bad thing", or am I simply demonstrating a total lack of understanding of what kills, (or maybe what helps), wooden boats ?

Very

Potentially, yes!

Dan

Very but they are tougher than they look..

Lucy was lifted using a purpose built cradle.

Usk was lifted on strops but only broke when she didn't settle on the bank evenly. This a boat that only had the bottoms, keelson and chine plank surviving intact, after being torched.