Boat price register comparing advertised/realized prices

Mick in Bangkok

Featured Posts

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

And finally finally, what counts as a 'vintage engine'?

A Gardner 2LW made in 1993 with enclosed flywheel and electric start?

A 1975 BMC 1.8?

My Chinese Kingfisher KD36?

A Lister SR2?

A Beta Marine BD3?

Quite.

What about a Russell Newbery built in recent years that us pretty much the same (apart from price!), as you could have bought in the mid-1930s.

AFAIK "vintage", "veteran", etc all have fairly fixed definitions in the world of old cars, but in the world of canal narrow boats, they mean only what someone chooses to mean!

26 minutes ago, Mick in Bangkok said:

What discount might a historic boat be due?

10%, if CRT judge it meets their criteria.

However my understanding is that the licence review CRT are now carrying out may take this away?

I have heard suggestions that instead of the owner getting the discount, it might go into a fund to help "historics" in other ways.  Sounds bonkers, if true.

In practice the discount (around £100 for a full length boat) is such a small proportion of the total costs of owning such a boat, and probably doesn't do much to encourage people taking them on.

My view is that CRT should look at things like making the licence for historic unconverted butty boats zero cost.  There are so few that the loss of income would be marginal, but they are under threat with numbers diminishing all the time.  Removing the licence fee might encourage a few more people to take on the responsibility of these historic craft - every little helps.

16 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The other point of view is historic owners are all committed enthusiasts, so cancelling the historic discount would make no difference.

I think anything that could be done to encourage people to take on some of the diminishing number of unconverted butties is worthwhile though.

Motor/butty pairings are always a crowd drawer at big events, and increasingly (trust boats apart), one sees less and less.

IMO to waive the licence fee for these would cost CRT less than some of their daft excesses, (such as  ill-judged "temporary" publicity signs, or whatever), and bring back more to the canals than the very slight revenue lost.

But I am sure Nick will be along soon to repeat the allegation that I have bee brainwashed by the "historic boat cult", and that my views are therefore worthless.

(I can't see it happening, by the way......)

I don't think the cost of the annual licence for a historic butty is the cause for so many being converted into motors. It would have continued to happen regardless of whether a licence was payable or not. An unconverted butty is all but useless EXCEPT for drawing crowds at rallys, as you say. 

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I don't think the cost of the annual licence for a historic butty is the cause for so many being converted into motors. It would have continued to happen regardless of whether a licence was payable or not. An unconverted butty is all but useless EXCEPT for drawing crowds at rallys, as you say. 

The owners or operators  of buttys like Bideford, Lyra, Jellicoe, Cedar, Betelgeuse, St Austell, Joe, etc. would probably not agree with you, I'm guessing!

Admittedly it is quite a niche thing, but quite a few are in private ownership, whether serving as fuel boats, workshops, or floating shops.

I don't think scrapping the licence fee would make a huge difference to how many people will take them on, but it could make some difference, and it's loss would go virtually unnoticed by CRT.

They could also easily relax their mooring rules to make it easier for people to keep motor/butty pairs on (suitable!) CRT linear moorings whilst not actively out and about cruising.

On 9/11/2017 at 10:36, magictime said:

It was supposed to answer such basic questions as 'I've got up to £30k to spend - should I set £30k or £40k as my maximum price on Apollo Duck or Boatsearch?' and 'what do people actually mean when they talk about having a cheeky offer accepted'?

I mean, we all know that if your budget for a house is £190k, it'd be worth your while to look at houses advertised up to £200k but not £250k (because a 5% reduction is not unusual whereas a 20%+ reduction is virtually unheard of). A lot of us, I suspect, don't have the same familiarity with the boat market.

There is a page on Zoopla that if you put in your post code it will come up with local statistics on actual asking-v-sold prices.  It is surprising just how much lower the selling price is under to advertised price.  

You can also go go to the Land Registry to find out how much properties sell for. it costs you to find out. I have not looked to see if itincludes houseboats.

2 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

You can also go go to the Land Registry to find out how much properties sell for. it costs you to find out. I have not looked to see if itincludes houseboats.

I can't be sure but I have a feeling you may be missing a big clue in there somewhere ;)

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1

15 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes the Land  Registry records sales of interests in land. Not in floaty-abouty boats.  

No argument here - I threw my comment in as an indication of perceived value for selling versus the actual price paid.

I think the housing market process is similar for boats (valuers, agents, solicitors etc.), except there is no official collective public record of what boats sell for, whereas for land, it is a requirement by law - and to save paying the LR hefty search fees - Zoopla provides it free of charge.

Incidentally, if a pond, lake, or maybe a marina was was on the property you bought, the boundary of all the land under the water you claim to own is registered.