Split cane fishing rods.

Featured Posts

Any fishermen?

Just come back from the first proper Boston trip. Sun and rain on way there....and back.

Auction at market had guitar I needed for bits for mine. 50p would have been too much, however it made 2quid........BUT Polish lad came round and offered to give me the spools and winders, the bits I needed if they are no good for his (girlfriends actually) and took my phone number B) B)

Then Roy said the bundle of fishing rods I was looking at would make 100quid as there was a split cane rod amongst them. Bought them for much less. So I've a split cane rod for sale, another without any eyes etc. A cane rod complete and another nice 3 piece rod complete. I'm keeping the sea fishing rod I bought them for.......just needs 2 eyes.

There were reels later in the sale, and towards the end another in a box of junk.....also a portable CD player I could do with for on the boat/bank etc.

However we were bored by then so left. Later Roy said we should have stayed.

The split cane rods do not say HARDY on them, but still all there and not broken......I'll think about all bids.

Edited by Supermalc

I could be interested Malc

In my day I was the rod builder for The Tackle Shop at Gainsborough (Trevor Moss' and Neville Fickling's establishment). I have stripped and rebuilt a cane rod - it was a Richard Walker Avon mark 4 - the owner had nipped the top six inches off in the car door so I tidied it up and he used the shortened version as a useful tool

Still got my home made rod whipping jig in my hobby room beside me

I'd like to see what you've got and I'm not too far away

Hi guys. Slightly off-topic, but still rod related, I'm looking at buying a John Wilson Avon rod tomorrow ready for the start of the new season.

Any comments on this purchase? The rivers I fish include chub to 6lb+ and double figure barbel (if I'm lucky!), plus a few big carp and a good head of roach. I can't afford a rod for every occasion, so I thought this would be a pretty good all-rounder for my river fishing. Any thoughts?

Janet

PS. I only started angling less than a year ago. I now have 6 rods and only one pair of hands! Why do I want another? Answers on a sealed-down envelope please....

Janet its difficult to say as I don't know what a John Wilson Avon looks like - but I reckon he's a damned good angler so it sounds as if he's put together a rod to handle biggish fish (6lb Chub qualifies) in fairly fast flowing water with enough power to bully the fish through weed if necessary. If that's what your river is like this could be the rod for you

If your river is slow flowing you might need a different rod

If you have a quality tackle shop who's advice you trust then talk to them but beware the shyster who just wants you to buy the most expensve rod he's got and doesn't give a damn about what you need - its a matter of judgement

You could hold back a little on your purchase and heve a wander down the river in the new season and see what the fishermen are using and ask them what they think

Hi Janet,

Any 'avon' type rod will be ideal for river ledgering / freelining for 'decent sized' fish, not much use for float work (I guess you could get away with very close range laying on etc but thats not what an avon rod is designed for). The big decision is which test curve to go for. You need to consider fish type/size and river conditions such as weed and snag level. A TC of 1.25 lbs would fine for clearish conditions and big fish but if the river holds big fish and its weedy then 1.5lbs could be more like it. When I barbel fished on some of the thames tributaries a few years back they were weedy and we used 1.75lbs carp rods and 10lb line, and they still took some taming! Its really hard to say without knowing the river but barbel and river carp really do pull back like nothing else so dont go too light !

All the best

les

Edited by Lesd

Oh and as to why you've got six rods alredy - its because you're well and truly hooked

I have about a dozen and about 10 reels, 4 landing nets, it goes on

You wait till you start piking - now that's expensive - and some of those plugs are just so darned pretty - Ive got some that I paid a tenner for 15 years ago and I daren't fish with them in case I lose them

its because you're well and truly hooked

Yes, I think I am! Six rods, four reels, three landing nets and enough floats to start my own tackle shop, and I haven't been fishing a full year yet!

Janet

PS. and I still use the same rod nearly every trip!

thanks for the pictures Malc

Can you just confirm because its a little difficult to see - are the rods hexagonal in cross section and do they have tiny whippings, only about 8 turns in each, about every half inch along the full length of the rod?

fishing2.jpg

Both are hexagonal, and this rod is complete except for one missing eyelet, with small whipping along the length of the longest section.

I've had a close look, and even though they are not a set, importantly they are not split.

There is no name to be seen.

Edited by Supermalc

If these rods are Hardy's they are worth a shed load of dosh.....if not .....pennies......the orientals made ship loads of rubbish copies........if there is no 'name' there is no value :)

They certainly have value.

They look ideal for growing runner beans up. :D