L & L Moorings

Speedwell

Featured Posts

We hope to be going through to Leeds in mid July. Can anybody recommend safe moorings between Bingley and Leeds ?

We spent the night at Saltaire a few years ago. Is it still safe there ?

Arthur

We spent the night at Saltaire a few months ago, even tho it was right beside a pub at the foot of the bridge over to Salt's Mill it was fine, lovely place

We hope to be going through to Leeds in mid July. Can anybody recommend safe moorings between Bingley and Leeds ?

Arthur

We did the L & L last April.

Canal side of Lemonoyd marina is peaceful, quiet and pretty. Leeds basin is also OK, but recommend the use a chain for mooring there. We had no problem, but heard of some boats being untied. The next stage to Rodley is also quite pretty, but I understand can suffer from kids causing problems. The recommendation is to do the Leeds Rodley stretch in the morning. Rodley as a mooring is fine.

There is a single 24 hr mooring at Shipley and some more upmarket moorings west of this. Saltire is definitely a must. You can potter around there all day. The moorings at the bridge are fine, but a little busy for my liking. We spent the day there, but moved a further half mile west to a wooded glade for the night, walking back for dinner at the Tapas bar in Saltire.

There are moorings at the bottom of the three staircase lock at Bingley, but these are noisy with road traffic, and very stark. Better to go through the Bingley Five and moor above them.

On the whole of the L & L we never felt threatened in any way, although some moorings are better than others.

Have a great time. You will love it.

Arthur

I wandered down that way on saturday. The visitor moorings at Salts mill are 6hrs only, for use between 0900 and 1800, although it's currently so quiet I'd be amazed if anyone was checking. There's 7 day (I think) visitor moorings at Shipley, just past Shipley Wharf, and the moorings by the Boathouse Inn at Saltaire are (I believe) 24 hr. You should be fine moored in Saltaire (and it's a lovely place) although my other half did comment on a bunch of school kids knocking on a boats windows on the Salts Mill moorings the other afternoon. As long as they're banging on the windows not heaving bricks, that's not too bad.

Shipley visitor moorings at Salts Wharf are perfect, but often busy, I used to work in the building next to them, so there's lots of people about. There are some moorings up past Gallows Bridge on the opposite side to the towpath, very quiet, I think they will be redeveloped as permanent moorngs from what I've heard.

Don't moor on the visitor moorings at the bottom of the 3 rise - travel about a mile and moor outside the Fishermans pub near the double lock.

Saltaire is safe as houses. Rodley is fine, we were there a week last year. Lovely moorings also at Apperley Bridge.

As per previous post do Apperley to Leeds in one go.

Hello Richard

Thanks for that info, although it will probably be Rodley to Leeds.

We've been that way a few times but not for several years and areas can change so quickly.

Arthur

Hi Speedwell,

Came down this section of the L&L this Easter and we overnight-ed at Calverley Bridge, between Apperley Bridge and Rodley.

We had a good meal and evening at the Railway pub next the moorings. Every other Thursday evening is a Bluegrass music night, it was on when we were there, it was fantastic entertainment. This is a good starting point for the morning drop down through Leeds.

M&P.

Hi Speedwell,

Came down this section of the L&L this Easter and we overnight-ed at Calverley Bridge, between Apperley Bridge and Rodley.

We had a good meal and evening at the Railway pub next the moorings. Every other Thursday evening is a Bluegrass music night, it was on when we were there, it was fantastic entertainment. This is a good starting point for the morning drop down through Leeds.

M&P.

Hi Mick & Pauline

Thanks for that. We went to the Railway a few years ago. Despite the signs there was no food so we may well try again.

Arthur

• 1 year later...
I wandered down that way on saturday. The visitor moorings at Salts mill are 6hrs only, for use between 0900 and 1800, although it's currently so quiet I'd be amazed if anyone was checking. There's 7 day (I think) visitor moorings at Shipley, just past Shipley Wharf, and the moorings by the Boathouse Inn at Saltaire are (I believe) 24 hr. You should be fine moored in Saltaire (and it's a lovely place) although my other half did comment on a bunch of school kids knocking on a boats windows on the Salts Mill moorings the other afternoon. As long as they're banging on the windows not heaving bricks, that's not too bad.

It's to placate the apartment dwellers who objected to the improvements BW made to the moorings who may tell you that you have to abide by the notice, but BW won't enforce it I'm reliably informed. We stayed over here with another boat in the summer , but residents object to the fact that on a warm summers evening when people are laughing and chattering over the BBQ embers late at night the sound echoes in the canyon between Salts Mill and New Mill on the towpath side. So keep it down.