Trevor Mitchell Painting

Featured Posts

This week I've received a birthday card fronted by a reproduction of a painting by Trevor Mitchell called 'THe Mail Train'.

The picture depicts an LMS Class 5 hauling a Royal Mail train over a wide beam canal bridge beneath which is about to pass what appears to me to possibly be a L&L steamer carrying the name 'Jennifer' for the company 'B C Walls'.

Can anyone offer any info on likely location and/or the boat

9 hours ago, lydfordcastle said:

This week I've received a birthday card fronted by a reproduction of a painting by Trevor Mitchell called 'THe Mail Train'.

The picture depicts an LMS Class 5 hauling a Royal Mail train over a wide beam canal bridge beneath which is about to pass what appears to me to possibly be a L&L steamer carrying the name 'Jennifer' for the company 'B C Walls'.

Can anyone offer any info on likely location and/or the boat

"Pluto" of this parish will be you man. He co wrote "Brightwork - Traditional Paintwork on Leeds & Liverpool Canal Boats" with Sam Yates.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brightwork-Traditional-Paintwork-Leeds-Liverpool/dp/0951923625/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493670093&sr=8-1&keywords=brightwork+traditional+paintwork+on+leeds

51z1VsmovML._SY275_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The painting appears to be where the Midland Railway crosses the canal just above Gargrave. Although B C Walls had a fleet of boats, they were named after Greek letters, several originating from the L&LC fleet when the canal gave up carrying in 1921. Walls had worked for the canal company at Bank Newton, Gargrave and Skipton, and set up his carrying business in 1921. Coming from Yorkshire, his boats would not have the more colourful Lancashire style of decoration, as depicted in the painting.