Seaflo water pump overheating

TheBoatingHamster

Featured Posts

Hi,

I've had a seaflo SFDP1 for about 2 years and in the last 2 weeks, it's decided to start overheating. Nothing had changed so I don't know what has caused it to start doing this. 

Pulled it apart, can't see anything obviously wrong. Turned the magnets round, checked the connection & checked pressure switch. 

It's getting extremely hot to touch, and really draining the batteries when it starts overheating (the lights dim considerably, and bathroom pump runs really slow when having  shower, so I can tell it's putting pressure on batteries). 

Weird thing is, is that it has been intermittently working and not overheating!

Does anyone have any ideas? Would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thank you.

I had a pump in the fish pond at home suddenly blow the trip. I pulled it out, dismantled it, everything seemed fine. Ceramic bearings still ok, impeller spun freely. Plugged it back in and it popped the breaker (5A mcb). I presume some windings shorted out. I just had to replace it. 

Check  the power connections are in good order ( not corroded or l) , any inlet filter is not clogged and that the pressure switch is OK.  Any of these can cause the pump to work harder and get hot.

N