question about broadbeam navigation

the wherry

Featured Posts

hi ,

im new to these forums, and also new to the world of canal boating,

i am interested in buying a broad beam boat to live on, in Norfolk,

i have seen one for sale, up North, and i want to cruise the boat down to Norfolk,

does anybody know, if a broadbeam can safely go accross the wash ?

if so, is there anything i need to be aware of?

id appreciate it if anybody can help!

many thanks.

Hi - try looking here:

http://www.ledgardbridge-boatcompany.com/html/too_big_.html

Personally, I would not take a widebeam across the Wash. I assume you are talking about a flat bottomed wide beam canal boat rather than a dutch barge style boat.

It would be safer to put it on a truck.

Edited by NB Willawaw

Where abouts in Norfolk do you want to go?

If its the broads the only way in by water is through Yarmouth which means more than a trip across the wash

A wide beam narrowboat would best be trucked in because they are normally RCD (Recreational Craft Directive) Category D and so suitable for inland waterways only

A Dutch barge barge would need to be at least RCD category C and you would still want to pick good weather for the trip around the coast

Where abouts in Norfolk do you want to go?

If its the broads the only way in by water is through Yarmouth which means more than a trip across the wash

There's also Muttford Lock between Lake Lothing (part of Lowestoft harbour) and Oulton Broad, not sure how big it is though.

Probably a bigger problem for navigating the Broads is that there's a length restriction of 46' LOA (and restrictions on any craft greater than 12'6" beam), unless you happen to have a replica Wherry or Norfolk Keel (or you're willing and able to restrict yourself to no more than 4 passages a year, each with 7 days notice required).

I wasn't aware of that restriction.

Is that a physical restriction or where does the limit come from ?

Probably a bigger problem for navigating the Broads is that there's a length restriction of 46' LOA (and restrictions on any craft greater than 12'6" beam), unless you happen to have a replica Wherry or Norfolk Keel (or you're willing and able to restrict yourself to no more than 4 passages a year, each with 7 days notice required).

There's also Muttford Lock between Lake Lothing (part of Lowestoft harbour) and Oulton Broad, not sure how big it is though.

http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/broads/...ons_Byelaws.pdf

The 46'x12'6 only applies to parts of the broads.

I wasn't aware of that restriction.

Is that a physical restriction or where does the limit come from ?

The limit comes from the Broads Authority regulations, and applies to any craft brought on to the system after (I think) 1989, including any that have left the Broads and wish to return.

http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/broads/...ons_Byelaws.pdf

The 46'x12'6 only applies to parts of the broads.

The length limit applies everywhere on the Broads, and if you have a look at the progressive restrictions for craft with a beam over 12'6" (and an absolute maximum beam for day to day navigation of 14', IIRC) you'll find there's not a lot of the Broads left.

The length limit applies everywhere on the Broads, and if you have a look at the progressive restrictions for craft with a beam over 12'6" (and an absolute maximum beam for day to day navigation of 14', IIRC) you'll find there's not a lot of the Broads left.

I must beg to differ.

The length limit applies only to those section of the broads that the 12'6" beam limit applies to.

Sections that have a greater beam restriction have no length restriction.

I must beg to differ.

The length limit applies only to those section of the broads that the 12'6" beam limit applies to.

Sections that have a greater beam restriction have no length restriction.

On re-reading the byelaws I see that you're right. Strange though, because I remember debating the same issue on a Norfolk Broads forum a few months ago and everyone on there seemed to think the length restriction applied everywhere (or at least didn't challenge the idea when it was put forward). Also, the restrictions on place for vessels over 46' cover quite a lot, including many of the better places to visit.

Oh, one other thing to bear in mind if you want to take a big wide beam on to the Broads - the BA charge tolls on the basis of Length x Beam, which could make it quite an expensive trip.

• 1 year later...

Dunno if its relevant, but I heard that a widebeam can go anywhere on a river/canal as long as its not liverpool/leeds in which case the canals are too narrow.

Somebody has taken a broadbeam from one end of the country to another, so there must be an alternative route?

Somebody has taken a broadbeam from one end of the country to another, so there must be an alternative route?

I think you'll find it involves 2 cranes, a lorry, and quite a lot of roads.

Taking a wide beam across the Wash to the Ouse or Nene has certainly been done safely by a number of narrowboats over the years and should certainly be straightforward in a widebeam with suitable engine power, providing very careful planning and preparation is carried out. Very calm weather is paramount, as is careful working of the tides and careful navigation with up to date charts and navigation equipment. Safety and emergency equipment suitable for offshore is also essential, as is a VHF radio licence and suitable transceiver. The Licence will require attending a recognised course and passing a written examination. It is quite straightforward and will give you a licence for life. The Wash can be very treacherous if not treated with great respect and is notorious for changing sand banks, very strong currents and severe wind over tide conditions.

I wouldn't even consider taking a widebeam around the coast to Yarmouth to enter the Broads. Apart from the complete unsuitability of a narrow or widebeam canal boat in anything but extremely calm conditions, the speed available to you would entail breaking the journey into two halves. One to Wells, which could be 10 hours at sea from Boston, the second from Wells to Yarmouth. As you can only enter or leave Wells 2 hours either side of high tide, you would encounter an adverse tide between Wells and Yarmouth which could run at up to 3 knots. This could mean being at sea for up to 12-15 hours on the second leg, with no emergency harbour in the event of an unexpected change in the weather.

I did this journey last year in a seagoing motor sailer with a top speed of 8 knots. The forecast for both days was force 2-3, smooth sea state. In fact it ended up force 4-5, with wind over tide breaking seas of about 6ft. At times, running against the tide and the seas, our speed over the ground was 1.5 knots. It was unpleasant, but in a canal boat it could have been fatal.

In my opinion, take the lorry option, theres no saving worth the possible loss of your boat and/or your life.

Roger

Dunno if its relevant, but I heard that a widebeam can go anywhere on a river/canal as long as its not liverpool/leeds in which case the canals are too narrow.

You heard wrong. There are many narrow canals. And the LL isn't one of them.