Thames

Timx

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I thought better of you than to peddle that nonsense.

We have selfish CMers to thank for that, you should have written.

Absolutely; my apologies,  post corrected.

Indeed if they cruised there'd be no problem....

I'm obliged.

7 hours ago, Timx said:

So where is it best to moor in Oxford..?

As someone said, the moorings opposite Christchurch Meadows are full of long-term overstayers. It's usually possible to tie up a little further downstream of Folly Bridge. A fair bit further down and a long walk to town are nice moorings near Isis Farmhouse above Iffley Lock. The pub only opens Fri - Sun, and Thurs in the summer but the two pubs on the other side (the Tree Hotel and the other one) are very nice. There are limits near the lock, not sure if they apply further upstream towards the bridge.

It's certainly feasible to tie up below Osney Lock on the towpath side (other than about the first 300 m below the lock), there's deep water in a lot of places and it's  safer than it looks. Seldom see boats there.

Someone mentioned the East Street moorings. They're good if you need to paint your gunwhales.

There are longer term moorings on the canal if you go up a bit beyond the 48 h moorings, but they're often full and a lot of them are very shallow. Aristotle Lane rings a bell as being 7 or 14 day and it's handy for Jericho.

I like to tie up on the towpath side above the entrance to the Sheepwash channel. There are 24 (or 48) h signs there but they're well-hidden and it's unlikely you'll be bothered. Plenty of people do overstay. You may need to clear some foliage, but then a machete is always a useful thing to have on the Thames. It's feasible intermittently all the way up to Bossom's boatyard. (Might be worth asking if you want to stay more than a few days and don't mind paying, and also trying Osney Mill marina - we moor there and there's currently a space next to us. Maybe also College Cruisers on the canal).

Edit: sorry, just seen that you meant the canal. 48 h h at the bottom end of the canal and up past the first bridge, but it's very shallow the further up you go. Above that there are intermittent 48 h, 7 day and 14 day moorings. They was plenty of space when I walked up a week ago, but they'll get more busy as the summer approaches. Can't remember all of the locations. Shallowness at the edge is a general problem, largey due to bits of the bank having fallen in.

Martin/

Edited by Onewheeler