Trojan versus Powerline - the truth can now be told

larryjc

Featured Posts

As I was looking at replacing the batteries in my new boat and I've used Trojans successfully before, I looked at the Tayna website and was quite taken with the Powerline equivalents as four of them work out at £100 less.  I also noted the posts on here where some people were using the cheaper ones and others had possible concerns.  Being someone wot likes to know for sure I emailed Trojan and then after an interesting reply, invested in a phone call to the US.

Firstly they are made by Trojan - hooray!  They said that they are made on the same production line and subject to the same quality tests etc.

BUT they are quote 'more akin to a T605' and when I spoke to them on the phone they confirmed that they are the same capacity as that model and its 210AH as opposed ot 225.  So Tayna are being slightly conservative with the truth in marketing them as direct T105 equivalents.  I did speak to Tayn afterwards - politely - and they say they will look into it as they 'buy them from a third party'  and advertise them in good faith.    Mind you the loss of 30 AH against the saving of a hundred quid has to be considered.  I reckon I will use about 100- 120 AH per day so they should never really go below  65-70%.

Thought peeps might like to know.

• Greenie 2

Thanks, thats very useful info.

Data sheet says 26kg rather than 28kg for a T105, so about 10% less lead???   210 vs 225 Amp-h so a little bit less capacity, same cycle life.

Trojan also do higher capacity (T125) and also a higher cycle life (different "line") versions of the T105. Its really just trading small changes in price against performance.

In this respect the Powetline does look like a good compromise, but it will probably not last quite as long as the capacity might get to your "critical minimum" a bit sooner.

If you factor in the "cost" of replacing them, even if its only your time, the balance might shift in favour of the more expensive ones.

Remember that your estimate of 65-70% might go quite wrong if you are out in a cold winter, and also when they get a bit sulphated. Unless you have factored this in already I predict you will go well below 50%.

................Dave

The only warning I might give is they said 'it is more equivalent to the 605'  I did email back and ask them to be more specific but they haven't replied yet.  If they do I will post here.  The lady on the phone only knew about capacity ie 210AH but there could be other  differences/

I take the point about cost versus life/capacity especially when they get older but at that price I might be able to afford 6 of the Powerline where as 6 Trojans is starting to get too much.

Oh God it looks like I'm going to have to finally make a 'decision'.

Yes but the depth of discharge of the 605 will be greater for a given daily load so the number of achieved cycle will be proportionally less. Mind you it won't be much.

(edit for a spalling mastike)

Edited by larryjc

Trojans are £125 each at 225 AH so thats 0.55 £ perAH   the Powerline are £100 each for 210 AH so thats .47 £ per AH.  On that basis the Powerlines are better value for money but its also about how many you can afford and just as importantly fit into the boat - I only really have room for 4.