Boatyard activity

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

It's more than possible that a new coupling will need a new propshaft, as the old one has been shaped specifically to fit the coupling, which is about fifty years old and isn't made any more*. That's the main problem.

*ETA and no-one I've met in the last twenty odd years has ever seen another one like it, unfortunately.

Post a photo on the forum of it and I bet 20 people will say 'I have one like that'!!

I was referring to the coupling, would anyone without a Lister have one like it?

Maybe if they've an old enough boat, though someone told me they thought it might have been designed for tractors - it's big. We did track down the maker who said they could make another one, but would only make them in twos at £800 each, which seemed a bit excessive. I don't care what it gets replaced with, I just want it done!

My experience was almost the opposite. I took my boat in for blacking and was told it would take about a 2-weeks They said "ring up in a couple of days for an up-date". So at the end of the week I rang and they said the job had been done and I could collect the boat asap because they needed the room.

My experience was almost the opposite. I took my boat in for blacking and was told it would take about a 2-weeks They said "ring up in a couple of days for an up-date". So at the end of the week I rang and they said the job had been done and I could collect the boat asap because they needed the room.

The bloke who usually does my blacking is like that. The last thing he wants is boats clogging up his working space. Unfortunately, this yard has lots of space.

The bloke who usually does my blacking is like that. The last thing he wants is boats clogging up his working space. Unfortunately, this yard has lots of space.

Hmmm I wonder if that's the root of the problem. He doesn't want to take your boat out for blacking because he is worried his dock will be obstructed while the shaft work is done. So he leaves it. Mwanwhile, the mechanics don't do anyting about it because they are waiting for it to come out for backing.