Laurence Hogg Productions remaining VHS stock free to good home.

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, WotEver said:

It entirely depended upon the system used. Some were virtually impossible to overcome as I experienced when attempting to rip some Sony and Warner VHSs (for Sony & Warner, with written approval) back in the 80s. Others could simply be put through a decent TBC and came out clean as a whistle. 

Back then we had a full analogue studio set up with a bit more than a TBC and copying encoded tapes wouldn't have been a problem whoever published them. Now with DVD there is virtually no protection against copying and that can be done on a home PC, thankfully markets such as ebay have taken a very responsible attitude to bootlegging and with the VERO organisation any infringing items are down and gone in hours.

9 hours ago, Derek R. said:

Is someone going to tell me that a VHS cannot be played and simultaneously NOT be recorded onto a CD-R? Seem to recall doing the in the past, and the CD-R plays well enough on my desktop. Commercially it would not make much sense, but for home use . . .

I just scart connected the VHS player to the DVD recorder and that was it. Never had one fail to copy yet.

Edited by ditchcrawler
spilling

21 minutes ago, Laurence Hogg said:

Back then we had a full analogue studio set up with a bit more than a TBC and copying encoded tapes wouldn't have been a problem whoever published them.

I was running a GVG 300 and Videomedia controller driving  3 x 1" machines, 3 x Beta SP plus all the usual ancillaries (ADO, A64, A53, Charisma etc) plus we had some U-Matics kicking around (we're talking pre-DigiBeta) and I can assure you that the varying SC Burst and blanking luma levels on Sony & Warner tapes made clean copies impossible. I even phoned Molinare at one point and had a chat with their chief tech about it and his words were "virtually impossible". Eventually I got SP copies from the States (which then had to be standards converted  of course). 

16 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I just scart connected the VHS player to the DVD recorder and that was it. Never had one fail to copy yet.

Yup, that works fine. What wasn't possible (IF they were copy-protected, not all were) was to get them onto a professional format, nor to dub VHS to VHS