Looking for residential mooring Hertfordshire area

Kate89

Featured Posts

My partner and I are in the process of buying our first live aboard Narrowboat. We're looking for a residential mooring in the Hertfordshire area however we're having real trouble finding one, all the marinas we've contacted are full and have basically told us there's no point going on the waiting lists as they're so long. Does anyone know of any residential moorings or have any tips on how to go about getting one? Many thanks for any advice ?

Hi Kate,

I am too looking for a residential mooring in Herts area......I've learned not to use the word 'residential' and use either 'frequent visitor' or 'high user'

As long as you will take your boat out and not just have it parked 365 days. It seems most places like 30 days or so and you may switch births as well.

I'm having more trouble as I'll be in a widebeam.

I've had to go further away towards Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire where there are very few moorings but not 'residential'

It seems the best way to do it is to have a very good friend or family member where you can say you live and get all your post sent there. Thats how I'm going to do it and my boat wont even be started until 2018/2019!

Residential moorings are like rocking horse poo and if you get one, i'll be over the moon for you!

I've been trying for 6 months!

My partner and I are in the process of buying our first live aboard Narrowboat. We're looking for a residential mooring in the Hertfordshire area however we're having real trouble finding one, all the marinas we've contacted are full and have basically told us there's no point going on the waiting lists as they're so long. Does anyone know of any residential moorings or have any tips on how to go about getting one? Many thanks for any advice

Edited by metal_snapper

Hi Kate,

I am too looking for a residential mooring in Herts area......I've learned not to use the word 'residential' and use either 'frequent visitor' or 'high user'

As long as you will take your boat out and not just have it parked 365 days. It seems most places like 30 days or so and you may switch births as well.

I'm having more trouble as I'll be in a widebeam.

I've had to go further away towards Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire where there are very few moorings but not 'residential'

It seems the best way to do it is to have a very good friend or family member where you can say you live and get all your post sent there. Thats how I'm going to do it and my boat wont even be started until 2018/2019!

Residential moorings are like rocking horse poo and if you get one, i'll be over the moon for you!

I've been trying for 6 months!

Ah someone else in the same boat!! (no pun intended lol!)

I think we may just have to settle for that then, anything is better than nothing at the moment. We're kind of tied to location though, we can't be too far away from London as my boyfriend has to commute to North London everyday.

Good luck with your search and boat!

I do not know the local marinas, but I suspect that most people seeking such berths will be looking on the Grand Union. How about looking at the Lea (or Lee) & Stort Navigation? Hertford, for example, has two stations (North, to Kings X, and East, to Liverpool St.) with frequent trains which go through North London. Other towns on the navigation include Ware, Bishop's Stortford, Hoddesdon and Harlow.

Edited by Athy

I do not know the local marinas, but I suspect that most people seeking such berths will be looking on the Grand Union. How about looking at the Lea (or Lee) & Stort Navigation? Hertford, for example, has two stations (North, to Kings X, and East, to Liverpool St.) with frequent trains which go through North London. Other towns on the navigation include Ware, Bishop's Stortford, Hoddesdon and Harlow.

I have been told, but don't know how accurate it is that the one place on the L&S that was absorbing live-aboard boats in large numbers is now full, and this effectively means that any likely vacancies on the L&S are full.

Someone like Lady Muck may well know more, being local to the Lee.

The only candidate places I can think of that may offer something are not in Herts, but further South, the Willow Wren Moorings at Bulls Bridge, Enginers Wharf on the Paddington Arm, and Packet Boat marina are all possibles, All of these will be expensive though because of proximity to London, so if you don't need London, you would be paying a premium to be at any of these.

Moorings are like properties in that ones nearer to good transport links are more expensive and harder to find. There is a skill about travelling to London, If you are far away sometimes it's quicker because you can use the limited stops trains. If I caught the KX train from Potters Bar the train from Peterborough took 17 minutes but the train from Hatfield was all stations to KX and took 45 mins for the same journey