wide beam no mooring

b0atman

Featured Posts

Cracks me up too because my 12ft widebeam has seen a lot more of the waterways than many narrowboats, as well as tidal waters where so many canal boaters fear to venture.

My narrowboat has seen all the waterways in the uk including scotland.

I know it must have there are 4 books in the boat so it must read something.

The "no widebeams above Berkhampstead" rule was put in place by a previous waterway manager who has now left. It never was a bylaw, but his rule made it into Nicholsons.

Really ? Which one, and when, please?

Good luck getting anything near 14' beam through Leighton Buzzard! There's a pinch point by an old sand (?) loading wharf. It's less than 14' wide.

Your information is not particularly up to date, I think. The copings stones at a disused bridge where the sides were collapsing inwards have now been removed, and I think a breasted pair can again pass without issue.

The GU is wide enough to get a wide beam all the way to the top of Camp Hill, but I guess few people do it.

Depends on how you define wide-beam, I think. 12' 6", probably "yes", but 14' 0", almost certainly "no" because of one or more bridge holes known to be too narrow.

When lock wheeling for Alan Fincher of this parish on my way to the ill fated National at Cassiobury I was somewhat confused by activity on the far side of an up coming bridge (can't remember which one because I am a senile old fool and I am not A Fincher either). On approaching the bridge I came across a very large floating bungalow complete with a box hedge on the roof. As I approached the mahogany stained steerer complete with medallion he said " I fink(sic) it's out of order building bridges so that I can't get my boat through". I gave him "words of advice", this being before I knew what P*** would have said.

So to answer my question is it still repeated by Nicholsons in the latest "new" editions ? Betty Boo is alive and hopefully well as i had PM from her .

Is there any purpose in your question which is specific to the Nicholson Guides rather than asking whether or not it is officially approved by C&RT? Nicholson Guides are only what they say - i.e. they are guides, and not legally liable for the accuracy or otherwise of their content.

On the issue of how possible is it to cruise the whole length in a wide boat we took the wooden ex GUCCC 12'6" x 74' wide beamed Progress from Brentford to Camp Hill in the 60s and the only pinch point was the long bridge at Leamington Spa.

On the other hand there were not wide beamed craft moored everywhere at that time.clapping.gif

On approaching the bridge I came across a very large floating bungalow complete with a box hedge on the roof. As I approached the mahogany stained steerer complete with medallion he said " I fink(sic) it's out of order building bridges so that I can't get my boat through".

Well at least with Chertsey I made all the bends and bridges through the Parks without any "refusals"!

Not so successful, unfortunately, this year with Flamingo, (which is a whole lot less nimble than Chertsey), and some of the floating flats made getting 72 feet of ex working boat around the tight bends a real nightmare.

None more so than the massive monster that seems to now be permanently moored just beyond the mill stream on the offside at one of the tightest bends, and which I came close to "modifying".

IMO, the biggest problem with the growing number of ultra-wide beams on the Southern GU is where people choose to "park" them, which often involves some random combination of bridge, bend and heavily overhanging offside vegetation. It is getting to be a lot more than a regular annoyance, it is now often actively making things dangerous.

• Greenie 1

Really ? Which one, and when, please?

You'll have to ask Paul H, as that's what he told me recently, but didn't give the oerson's name.

Your information is not particularly up to date, I think. The copings stones at a disused bridge where the sides were collapsing inwards have now been removed, and I think a breasted pair can again pass without issue.

That's good. It was nearly 9 years ago when Paddington Bear and I got our boats stuck.