Changing the gearbox oil

Col_T

Featured Posts

The boat has a Beta 1505 engine fitted with a PRM 120 mechanical gearbox and I'm planning on changing the oil and filter instead of getting someone else to do so. The query concerns how to warm the gearbox oil so that it flows more easily when emptying the gearbox.

The boat is moored in a marina, and I was planning to warm the engine oil by running the engine for 10, or maybe 15 minutes, while she's moored up. Whilst that might warm the gearbox, a little, through radiated heat, my guess is that wouldn't make that much difference. So, what is the best way to warm up the gear box oil, please?

use a ratchet to remove and refit the drain plug as it is easy to turn the wrong way being on the other side to you. Use engine oil 30/40 not gear oil to refill.

Use ATF, that's the correct oil for a PRM120

Richard

I was given a detailed explanation of why it's important to use "thin" oil in these types of gearbox by Nick Allsop at TW Marine which to be honest was wasted on me but I do recall he said it's something to do with shear loads. I was told under no circumstances to use anything other than SAE 20 monograde oil (in my ZF box) which I guess is a similar viscosity to ATF?