Vetus m 4.14 overheating

Featured Posts

Evening folks

I'm looking for some advice about my engine overheating

Today I was just cruising along canal when the temperature light started to flicker and alarm sounded but only very feebly ( not a full alarm beep)

This began to happen in the 1400-1600 rev range, throttling back to about 1200 revs stopped both indications

I moored up and checked coolant level, opened cap on expansion tank (carefully I might add), water level rose about an inch, removed "radiator" type cap on top of engine and found water level full, removed plug from top of skin tank and also found water level full. Skin tank was also hot from top to bottom.

My initial ideas was the thermostat stuck but the fact the skin tank is getting hot seems to preclude that.

Another thought is the temperature sensor giving a false reading, final thought given the light only flickers and alarm very feeble it could perhaps be a wiring fault.

Would anyone like to suggest how I should spend tomorrow fault finding

Evening folks

I'm looking for some advice about my engine overheating

Today I was just cruising along canal when the temperature light started to flicker and alarm sounded but only very feebly ( not a full alarm beep)

This began to happen in the 1400-1600 rev range, throttling back to about 1200 revs stopped both indications

I moored up and checked coolant level, opened cap on expansion tank (carefully I might add), water level rose about an inch, removed "radiator" type cap on top of engine and found water level full, removed plug from top of skin tank and also found water level full. Skin tank was also hot from top to bottom.

My initial ideas was the thermostat stuck but the fact the skin tank is getting hot seems to preclude that.

Another thought is the temperature sensor giving a false reading, final thought given the light only flickers and alarm very feeble it could perhaps be a wiring fault.

Would anyone like to suggest how I should spend tomorrow fault finding

Not familiar with the 414, but can say that the newer 415 has been known to have poor connections between the engine and the control panel. Unseat and reseat the connections is the first call. Another possible porblem is diodes failing in the control panel.

Does sound like it might be genuinely overheating if the fault cleared on slowing down though. Have you had the hull backed recently per chance?

A few months ago I had an issue with an overheat warning but a feeble alarm beep. My skin tank had not heated up although the top hose was hot. Not the same symptoms as your problem but you never know!

Have a good look at/feel of the fan/drive belt. I looked at mine initially but only when I laid hands on it did I realise that the backing was still there but the rest was lying on the floor (out of sight). So no drive to alternator hence the feeble beep and no water pump so overheating.

Hope yours is that simple.

I had a similar problem on a Vetus 4.17. The cause was an intermittent short between the sensor wire and the engine block (or rather, cylinder head!). The wiring was a bit on the tight side and had chafed against a head bolt, if I remember right.

I will take a closer look at the wiring ref a short but have a horrible feeling it may well be an overheating problem

Thanks gents

In which case it's probably superfluous to say treat it like it is overheating until proven otherwise, but the consequences can be dire so I will anyway! :D