Problem with Jabesco pump

Featured Posts

Can anyone advise if I need to replace my pump or just a part. I have seen water coming out of the blue side clip on the outlet side of the water pump ( currently switched off due to obvious reasons) I was able to stop flow by pushing it in firmly but it seems loose and I am not confident the problem is fixed.

Any experience?

Thanks

Paul

Update. Still leaking if turned on

post-4391-0-98980300-1475529394_thumb.jpg

Edited by kremmen

Pull that blue side clip towards you and the outlet fitting will pull out. The fitting is plastic and may be cracked if Jubilee clip has been overtightened. Or the "O" ring may be damaged. The "O" ring would be easy to replace. Jubilee clips are not very effective on smaller diameter pipes because they are not perfectly round where the screw is - hence prone to leaking.

Can you photograph the pump nameplate for us? Have you Googled it to get the Manual? It is JABSCO, not JABESCO, by the way.

This style of clip will seal better, with less risk of cracking the outlet fitting https://www.hcl-clamping.co.uk/39-mini-screw-or-petrol-pipe-clip-mollfambut make sure you get the right size. In your photo those two clips look too big for the hose.

jabsco.pdf

Edited by mross

If the outlet port is loose then the side clip may not be fully home to lock the port into the pump.

If water is coming out from around the side clip, then it would indicate that the port connector is leaking as the clips are not intended to seal anything, they just lock the port into the pump. The leak could be passed the O ring or it it could be coming from the end of the pipe as the pipe seems to be hard up against the pump body. That said there is a flange on the port which should make it easy - using some dry kitchen paper - to see if the leak is from the pipe.

Possibly there is a crack in the pump body or port allowing water passed the O ring.

First off check the port is fully inserted and locked in place. If that is ok, then unlock the port and pull it out to check the O ring. The ports are open so isolate the water tank and releive the pipe pressure etc before doing this.

Friend of mine had this and replaced the O ring with a slightly thicker one...tight erfit and needed a bit of silicone but stopped the leak. When I installed mine it did seem a little slack but hasn't leaked...yet.

Is that replaceable if it is?

Almost all O rings are replaceable. The thing is, finding the right size can soak up several hours of your time so if you value your time just buy a whole new pump. They are consumable items and once one thing goes wrong the next failure isn't going to be that far away.

On the other hand if you have time to remove the O ring, measure it then source one ever so slightly thicker, then yes its perfectly feasible to do.