Keel cooler

Sjpbikes

Featured Posts

Need help sizing a keel cooler for a ford xld 418 engine rated at 50hp boat is a 23ft grp will be going theams and canal ( hopefully)

What pipe can i use ? Copper, galvanised , stainless , could o us grp or plastic ??

Thanks for ur help

Steve

I would have thought raw water or heat exchanger cooling would be the thing for a small GRP boat. Not sure if any GRP boats have keel cooler pipes on them :unsure:

Not sure that a keel cooler is appropriate for this engine on this boat.

If you were fitting this to a steel narrowboat it would need to be 14 sq ft.

14sq ft skin tank surface?

Op is suggesting keel cooler pipes as used on quite a lot of older steel craft - not sure how the sizing compares.

In my opinion 50hp in a small GRP goat needs to be cooled by river/canal water via an engine mounted heat exchanger

14sq ft skin tank surface?

http://betamarine.co.uk/keel-cooling-calculations/

In my opinion 50hp in a small GRP goat needs to be cooled by river/canal water via an engine mounted heat exchanger

Yes, that would be my solution too; though the heat exchanger might not have to be engine mounted.

Some GRP boats use external pipes for gearbox oil cooling, three or four 1/2 inch pipes 3 ft long.

External pipes tend to be much more efficient at cooling than skin tanks, but if used on a canal these would need to be steel or protected from impact damage.

Edited by Tiggs

There are plenty of Seamster 27's and Nauticus 27's that use keel cooling on Perkins 4107/4108 and BMC 1.5's.

There is plenty of space to get the required surface area, usually done in 1 1/4" pipe.

I wouldn't give them house room tbh, prone to corrosion and two more holes in the bottom of the boat.

Cooling performance can be compromised with undersized systems.

It can be done, but a well setup raw water cooling to a HX is a better bet.

Choose aa tall strainer, select a hull position where it can be rodded out, use 3/4" bsp seacock minimum, at least 22mm pipework and associated flexible hose and it will never cook.

Edited by gazza

Chears guys few peeps at my boatyard have said it can be done with 1" dia pipe 10ft long ( 5hp per foot ) but od probly double that to make shaw

Is a project bot trying to keep costs down as a hell of alot of work and keel cool to prolong the engies life. !

Not shaw wether to use copper or ss or galvinised

Chears guys few peeps at my boatyard have said it can be done with 1" dia pipe 10ft long ( 5hp per foot ) but od probly double that to make shaw

Is a project bot trying to keep costs down as a hell of alot of work and keel cool to prolong the engies life. !

Not shaw wether to use copper or ss or galvinised

Galv screwed fittings is the norm, if you can weld SS would be better but you'd want schedule 40 tube meant for screwed fittings rather than 1.6mm thin wall tube.

Crevice corrosion is a consideration, all be it less of a problem in freshwater than saltwater.

• 2 months later...

50 horse power on a plastic goat! That has created odd pictures in my mind's eye!