Out it comes! - (Flamingo's engine removal)

Featured Posts

I'm curious as to why you should wish to retain the oil drip tray? I would normally consider the engine room as being self contained and thus negate the need for a separate tray unless you have bilge pumping arrangements in the engine room also. I would prefer to see the bilges and keep them clean and painted.

This would be my preference, and I would have thought is how many normally are. That's what I was expecting to do.

However, unless I misunderstood, it seemed to be the opinion of those removing the engine that this was not a strictly valid arrangement.

Obviously without the tray, as you suggest, the engine room "floor" itself becomes the whole tray, so any spillage from the engine ends up not just beneath it, but potentially under fuel tanks as well. However from what I have discovered is likely to be under those, I can't see it making the situation any worse!

I'll read up the BSS regulations again, because, as you suggest, if you don't have a bilge pump in the engine room, I can't really see why not having a tray should be an issue.

I don't think there are any holes into either the back cabin or the original hold any lower than the obvious one that the prop shaft passes through.

Thanks for posting the video Alan. Given your view that it hasn't been out for almost half a century and the barnyard facilities available I think that getting the thing on the bench and giving it a thorough overhaul has got to be the way to go if pennies allow.

I'm curious as to why you should wish to retain the oil drip tray? I would normally consider the engine room as being self contained and thus negate the need for a separate tray unless you have bilge pumping arrangements in the engine room also. I would prefer to see the bilges and keep them clean and painted.

Can i hire you to keep my bilge clean and dry and painted?

This would be my preference, and I would have thought is how many normally are. That's what I was expecting to do.

However, unless I misunderstood, it seemed to be the opinion of those removing the engine that this was not a strictly valid arrangement.

Obviously without the tray, as you suggest, the engine room "floor" itself becomes the whole tray, so any spillage from the engine ends up not just beneath it, but potentially under fuel tanks as well. However from what I have discovered is likely to be under those, I can't see it making the situation any worse!

I'll read up the BSS regulations again, because, as you suggest, if you don't have a bilge pump in the engine room, I can't really see why not having a tray should be an issue.

I don't think there are any holes into either the back cabin or the original hold any lower than the obvious one that the prop shaft passes through.

Edited by paddles up

Thank you for sharing - hope everything goes ok with the work, - just a little concern - i know a chap that had one of those lifting straps break so i would double up to make sure,

its not a nice feeling to see your engine 6 ft from its habitat dangling on a single eye, bet you were pleased to see it touchdown.

Thank you for sharing - hope everything goes ok with the work, - just a little concern - i know a chap that had one of those lifting straps break so i would double up to make sure,

its not a nice feeling to see your engine 6 ft from its habitat dangling on a single eye, bet you were pleased to see it touchdown.

Indeed. The rope that hauled my boat up into bogey wheels, up the rails from water to shore snapped too.

Saw my boat slide down superfast back into the marina.

Not funny.

Using the engine room itself as the oil tight area rather than a separate tray is a perfectly valid arrangement, unless you have a bilge pumping facility there also.

The BSS are quite clear on this point.

Personally I would prefer to see the (clean and painted) bilges rather than having an unknown quantity of oil and other such engine room detritus hidden between the tray and knees/bottom.