Kit Gayford's Map

Denis R

Featured Posts

Did Kit Gayford's famous map ever get copied or published outside the few hand copied versions that boaters made themselves during the war years? Does anybody know what happened to the original?

From Margaret Cornish's tribute to Kit Gayford:

"She compiled a detailed 'book of words' for the benefit of her trainees. It was a route book of the whole trip with all the names of locks, shopping addresses, details of boat management and lists of tips and useful information she had accumulated for her own benefit. It was known reverently as 'The Book' and was invaluable to those who survived the two training trips until they knew the contents as well as Kit herself."

I'm led to believe that this was transcribed into a map, possibly by Kit herself, but certainly by at least one other boater. Otherwise, does a copy of 'The Book' exist?

Hi Denis,

I thought Margaret Cornish crewed with Daphne? I have recently re-read the book, but reading both Idle Women and Troubled Waters back to back has confused me. When I did re-read both books, I didn't think about where the map could be now. Do we know if any of the Idle Women are still knocking about, who could be asked?

Perhap somebody might ask Margaret Cornish ?? if she goes to the working boat gathering at Braunston in June I will ask her

Or someone might know ?? I will ask Laura Carter if she knows anything about it ?? ??

Viv, that would be great. It hadn't occurred to me that one of the other women might have kept their copy. If an original from any of the women could be found, it might make a fascinating facsimilie as a limited edition print run....

From Margaret Cornish's tribute to Kit Gayford:

"She compiled a detailed 'book of words' for the benefit of her trainees. It was a route book of the whole trip with all the names of locks, shopping addresses, details of boat management and lists of tips and useful information she had accumulated for her own benefit. It was known reverently as 'The Book' and was invaluable to those who survived the two training trips until they knew the contents as well as Kit herself."

I'm led to believe that this was transcribed into a map, possibly by Kit herself, but certainly by at least one other boater. Otherwise, does a copy of 'The Book' exist?

It's also mentioned in "Hold on a minute" because the author had a copy....certainly would be interesting

I'm really interested too.

Just in passing, and regarding working boatwomen, may I recommend 'Ramlin Rose: The Boatwoman's Story' by Sheila Stewart. Many here will have read it I know but it is worthy of a mention.

I'm really interested too.

Just in passing, and regarding working boatwomen, may I recommend 'Ramlin Rose: The Boatwoman's Story' by Sheila Stewart. Many here will have read it I know but it is worthy of a mention.

Most definately. Before I read Ramlin Rose, I'd only ever read a couple of books from the Working Waterways series, which includes books such as Anderton for Orders, Number One, Hold on a Minute, Bread upon the waters, etc.

Ramlin Rose descripes very well what it was like working boats well before the second war, and about families on boats and also horse boating too. Although the other books were good, they didn't really mention anything at all like Ramlin Rose.

Most definately. Before I read Ramlin Rose, I'd only ever read a couple of books from the Working Waterways series, which includes books such as Anderton for Orders, Number One, Hold on a Minute, Bread upon the waters, etc.

Ramlin Rose descripes very well what it was like working boats well before the second war, and about families on boats and also horse boating too. Although the other books were good, they didn't really mention anything at all like Ramlin Rose.

Has anyone got Kit Gayford's book: The Amateur Boatwomen : Canal Boating 1941-1945? Also from the working waterways series. Maybe that can shed some light.

Has anyone got Kit Gayford's book: The Amateur Boatwomen : Canal Boating 1941-1945? Also from the working waterways series. Maybe that can shed some light.

I have but i have not read it for 8 years I will have a view today sometime

Viv :lol: I never thought about reading it again carll

There is a little bit in the back of the book it starts with things to remember "Boats come First" ( I can't agree more )

I'm intregued - tell me more?

There's a bit of information here:

http://www.btinternet.com/~doug.small/wtwomen.htm

The site states... (with snips)

- - - (copy) - - -

During WWII women volunteered to work on Britains Inland Waterways. Apart from their contribution to the war effort the main reason we remember them is because of the books and articles written them, after the war. These provide a valuable insight into commercial carrying on inland waters. Collected here are some of these writings and any other relevant information I have come across.

The obvious place to start is to list the four books which are reasonably easy to obtain.

Idle Women by Susan Woolfitt.

Troubled Waters by Margaret Cornish.

The Amateur Boatwomen by Eily (Kit) Gayford.

Maidens' Trip by Emma Smith

1/ Susan Woolfitt's book is I consider the best. First published in 1947, it has been re-printed a couple of times.

2/ Troubled Waters was not published until 1987.

3/ Kit Gayford was one of the trainers and her book was first published in 1973.

4/ Maidens' Trip condenses Emma Smiths experiances into a fictionalised version, but nonetheless contains much factual material. First published in 1948.

Copies of these books can probably be obtained from M & M BALDWIN who have (I think) re-printed all of them recently, and who also deal in secondhand books. Tel: 01299 270110.

- - - (end) - - -

Don't know how recent the page is but the phone number looks fairly new if anyone want to try obtaining a copy

Allan

Edited by AllanW

There's a bit of information here:

http://www.btinternet.com/~doug.small/wtwomen.htm

The site states... (with snips)

- - - (copy) - - -

During WWII women volunteered to work on Britains Inland Waterways. Apart from their contribution to the war effort the main reason we remember them is because of the books and articles written them, after the war. These provide a valuable insight into commercial carrying on inland waters. Collected here are some of these writings and any other relevant information I have come across.

-- Snippy --

Copies of these books can probably be obtained from M & M BALDWIN who have (I think) re-printed all of them recently, and who also deal in secondhand books. Tel: 01299 270110.

- - - (end) - - -

Don't know how recent the page is but the phone number looks fairly new if anyone want to try obtaining a copy

Allan

Ta, Allan, I think I'll track them down once I'm on board. Some nice summer evening reading.

So does Barton Turns Marina and the Boat Musuems

A couple were out of print Ebay sometimes have them keep your eye open they are very good I have had them for a few years