Help in identifying a GRP cruiser

BilgePump

Featured Posts

It's a project for sure but the guy before has done some good work. Bulkheads, frames etc and glassfibring have all been done well. Just fancy a couple of weeks messing around with it.

Certainly not a W+T masterclass. I'll make some curtains, maybe!

Still not sure it's a B'ham. None of the interior suggests that the windows have been altered.

It's a project for sure but the guy before has done some good work. Bulkheads, frames etc and glassfibring have all been done well. Just fancy a couple of weeks messing around with it.

Certainly not a W+T masterclass. I'll make some curtains, maybe!

Still not sure it's a B'ham. None of the interior suggests that the windows have been altered.

Yes after having one sat on my drive for 18 months.....by eck its been that long, i can 1000% say it is a Buckingham.

The rear main bulkhead on mine is a one off i think, i still have to find one with a GRP bulkhead, all ones i have seen have got a wooden flat type.

What is fitted to yours?

if you anyhting liek me you will be making more than curtains ;) new build thread maybe :)

Edited by W+T
  • Greenie 1

Cheers W+T. That's settled it. Well, all I can say is that they're huuge inside compared to some other 20' boats I know. Being a shorthouse I can stand up in all but the v berth. Rear main bulkhead is ply on this one, guy has used 18mm ply glassed to the sides which seems good enough to me. And yep, maybe a bit more than curtains. Hope you don't mind if I peck you with questions. Grazee, Mike

Cheers W+T. That's settled it. Well, all I can say is that they're huuge inside compared to some other 20' boats I know. Being a shorthouse I can stand up in all but the v berth. Rear main bulkhead is ply on this one, guy has used 18mm ply glassed to the sides which seems good enough to me. And yep, maybe a bit more than curtains. Hope you don't mind if I peck you with questions. Grazee, Mike

They do have good cabin space dont they, one of the best designs i have seen for a small boat, just enough rear deck aswell for two and in my case a mutt I am five foot six and can stand in the rear area but not the front which is fine as that is the sitting area. cant wait to fit it out soon, going posh with a wet room :)

When you can get some pics up of it. where in the world are you, if not far i dont mind popping around to help if you need it. Meither me all you want also, us tupper ware folk need to stick togehter lol.

Now, a wet room, that would be decadent but I think we're going to have to go with the layout already started. Guy said he'd made it up as he'd gone along but it's definitely workable and gets a fair bit in. WC space though is currently just a small loo size open fronted cubicle, smaller than original and nothing like the one you have made. Water tank has been put in the bow, windows are good (4 new). I should have remembered your picture of the steering wheel. Guess what I'd found in a plastic bag in the cabin. Yep, an identical one.

Spent the wee hours re-reading your thread, often taking a deep gulp. The same type of original screen as you had came with the boat as did canopy frame tubes, a pulpit and some rails but I don't think these are the correct ones. I really can't imagine us going to the perfectionist lengths you have to get it on the water. even if we did have all the skills (which we don't). The hull seems sound enough so hope to have an outing once it's had the bare basics attended to and is licensed. I was asking about slipways in another thread as a few weeks of it being in use before the season's out would be ideal times to get cosmetic things done inside. It will still be pretty spartan even then, camping style but functional's the plan. Currently lacking any lining and needs all kinds of woodwork finishing/starting. Rubbing strips are always handy! Your epic saga with the hardtop canopy and screen has made me think we'll have to busk it without those to start with and will just make a tonneau cover for over it when not in use. I'm near Manchester but will probably slip the boat on the Macc & Peak soon to try it out. It would be great to meet up some point and talk Buckinghams!

Anyways, now I've gone and found myself yet another reason to look out for your updates but please don't expect work of the same standard or extent from this quarter. I take my hat off to what you've achieved with your boat and can only imagine the countless hours of dedication that have gone into it already.

• Greenie 2

Now, a wet room, that would be decadent but I think we're going to have to go with the layout already started. Guy said he'd made it up as he'd gone along but it's definitely workable and gets a fair bit in. WC space though is currently just a small loo size open fronted cubicle, smaller than original and nothing like the one you have made. Water tank has been put in the bow, windows are good (4 new). I should have remembered your picture of the steering wheel. Guess what I'd found in a plastic bag in the cabin. Yep, an identical one.

Spent the wee hours re-reading your thread, often taking a deep gulp. The same type of original screen as you had came with the boat as did canopy frame tubes, a pulpit and some rails but I don't think these are the correct ones. I really can't imagine us going to the perfectionist lengths you have to get it on the water. even if we did have all the skills (which we don't). The hull seems sound enough so hope to have an outing once it's had the bare basics attended to and is licensed. I was asking about slipways in another thread as a few weeks of it being in use before the season's out would be ideal times to get cosmetic things done inside. It will still be pretty spartan even then, camping style but functional's the plan. Currently lacking any lining and needs all kinds of woodwork finishing/starting. Rubbing strips are always handy! Your epic saga with the hardtop canopy and screen has made me think we'll have to busk it without those to start with and will just make a tonneau cover for over it when not in use. I'm near Manchester but will probably slip the boat on the Macc & Peak soon to try it out. It would be great to meet up some point and talk Buckinghams!

Anyways, now I've gone and found myself yet another reason to look out for your updates but please don't expect work of the same standard or extent from this quarter. I take my hat off to what you've achieved with your boat and can only imagine the countless hours of dedication that have gone into it already.

Was the gulp at what i bought or what you may be expecting lol.

Well maybe the steering wheel must of been an original if these both have the same, although tis one here is no good, it ha a few rotten areas and bits missing, i could make them but i will by another one, infact see one or two here and there.

`I really can't imagine us going to the perfectionist lengths you have to get it on the water`

.You had to say that, T read it and laughed, she calls me a perfectionist aswell and annoys her, i just want it right lol. well look ok. I was tempted to get mine on the water and fit out then but i know it will not be done and as it is at home it is alot easier than going away fro a weekend working on it, been there and done that before, just didnt work., not suggesting for you not to do it, just what happens with me, i get on a boat and just want to chill and cruise/fish/drink, not in that order :)I tend to go OTT on projects, just me i guess, love a bit of DIY.

At the minute we will be having ours down near Barbridge on the Shroppi for now,but it will be towed around the Lake Windermere and The Broads etc when we want a change. Mite be launched yet with no engine as boat funds have dropped a bit. we will see.

Yours look a good start, head start for mine, like the windows, dont like mine still, but they are staying, T will kill me if i change them for another type. Did you get the trailer with your boat.

I think the gulp was a bit of both. Sheer scale of what you took on and the amount beyond the obvious that still needs doing on this one. I like the windows in yours and it seems that every B'ham 20 has a different style to the next. The wheel may have been original spec as I saw one in an advert with the same. This one came on the trailer, towed it about 125 miles and it was happy enough. As for getting things done on the water, non-major stuff may be easier for me as the boat won't fit at mine. I've got the room in the garden but not the access. Hence for the next few months it will live between my mate's and boat club storage with a few jaunts onto the canal to start. Family have a boat nearby so can always cruise them in tandem, cook and sleep on that if I need to paint etc inside this one. and don't fancy the fumes.

As it's trailer launched and basic we can use a declaration I think for up to 56 days of short term licensing in a year before it will have to have its BSS cert done. Plan is to put in the wiring for electrics after it's been in the water and it's out again and then get it cert'ed. It really will be basic though, solar panel, controller, battery, switch board, bilge pump, lights, lighter sockets & USB sockets. No fridge or shower pump to drain the juice. I like the convenience of gas but just don't get on with it on boats. So it will be a gas-free boat, a petrol outboard is enough! I've used Trangia-style meths stoves for camping and small boats and have managed to avoid starvation with them. I know the mantra goes, we may be boating but we don't have to be camping, but I quite like the simplicity of camping. Fewer systems to worry about going wrong. Bigger and more complicated the boat the bigger, more complicated and expensive the problems. Don't know how long we will have this one, just enjoy moving projects along a bit and playing with them but this would be a great boat to explore canals we just don't have time to reach by water itself. Whatever's done won't be radical but should leave anyone in the future the option of adding/changing things if they wish.