best canal without many locks

bramley

Featured Posts

well seams as i sold my nb in febuary, i missing it like crazy already, and having a few troubles with the gf i just want to get away from it all.

im thinking of hireing a boat for a few days perhaps a week, just to get away from life. being a single handed cruiser i dont want to be faced with loads of locks is there a good stretch of canal to do this? where is it?

Cheers

Ross

Edited by bramley

well seams as i sold my nb in febuary, i missing it like crazy already, and having a few troubles with the gf i just want to get away from it all.

im thinking of hireing a boat for a few days perhaps a week, just to get away from life. being a single handed cruiser i dont want to be faced with loads of locks is there a good stretch of canal to do this? where is it?

Cheers

Ross

Ashby/coventry/north Oxford canals. 53 miles with only sutton stop lock to worry about.

Edited by carlt

Lovely, and I can vouch for the Ashby (no locks at all on that canal), and it's very scenic for the most part (just a small section where you pass factories, and you can stop off at the nice historic town of Market Bosworth).

Lovely, and I can vouch for the Ashby (no locks at all on that canal), and it's very scenic for the most part (just a small section where you pass factories, and you can stop off at the nice historic town of Market Bosworth).

There's a nice steam railway at Bosworth as well, and the battle site.

Ashby Boat Co seem to have nice boats and is run by a proper nice guy. I think their day boats look suitable for one person or a couple to have a proper holiday on, unlike most day boats.

Ashbyboats

If you're wanting no locks then the Bridgewater seems to rank quite highly. Try Black Prince at Acton Bridge or Claymoore Navigation at Preston Brook? Although the southern end is more countrysidey than the northern end, you're able to cruise into Manchester/Castlefield and also upto Wigan before having to do any locks.

If you choose this route, let me know. We can meet up for a brew or a beer depending on what time of the day it is :lol:

The Lancaster, apart from having no locks (unless you choose to do the glasson branch) has only one swing bridge.

Wonderful countryside scenery, views over morecambe bay, many little towns, and Lancaster itself.

Arlen boat hire at the start of the canal at preston.

Hidden jem (dont tell too many people) :lol:

OR.....

If it ain't too late .... take your girlfriend with you on a canal with loads of locks. Fresh air, lots of er.. physical exercise, summery walks, pubs, water lapping gently at night, curtains open to let the moon in, ... could be just what is needed?

Edited by Carrie

OR.....

If it ain't too late .... take your girlfriend with you on a canal with loads of locks. Fresh air, lots of er.. physical exercise, summery walks, pubs, water lapping gently at night, curtains open to let the moon in, ... could be just what is needed?

Women, cant live with em, cant live with em.

lol my dad told me that..

i would take my gf, but its all a bit technical. god i hate being a complicated person

Women, cant live with em, cant live with em.

lol my dad told me that..

i would take my gf, but its all a bit technical. god i hate being a complicated person

I echo the earlier sentiments, the Ashby and north oxford route is nice and mostly peaceful, avoid one hire company though, I won't tell you the name on here but pm me if you like. Go for Ashby, they look really nice boats.