Signwriting

Featured Posts

I'm on a boat just outside of wakefield West Yorkshire. I'm after a local sign writer if possible who is willing to work while the boat is on my mooring not in a dry dock. Someone who is reasonable priced and good quality work. Failing that has anyone found online a stencil type procedure allowing me to paint the name back on myself? I have tried vinyl lettering before but found the sun on one side of the boat to cause too much damage.

Many thanks

The D.I.Y. stencil way works.

It is the reverse of Vinil lettering in that the vinal sheet is cut and put on a backing strip then the leters are removed. Check out sign local makers.

Our firm has used this method for prototypes and specials.

The D.I.Y. stencil way works.

It is the reverse of Vinil lettering in that the vinal sheet is cut and put on a backing strip then the leters are removed. Check out sign local makers.

Our firm has used this method for prototypes and specials.

I seem to recall my sign writing associate refer to this technique as 'strike out'

Just chalk it out then mask it and just grab a brush or chalk it and paint it free hand or do as i do and picture the effect or have a photo of what you want and paint it filly free hand but chalk is the best method i use.

You may find a signwriter reluctant to work outdoors on a pontoon type mooring, if that's what you are tied on. Sun and wind can make getting a good job difficult, as one I prefer to work under cover in more controlled conditions. I've struggled long enough in the past....sun cooking paint before I can lay it off evenly, wind likewise, insects or plant spores landing in wet letters...I've had the lot!

Dave

I was shown on a painting course to draw out what I wanted on greaseproof paper, get it right first, then turn it over & using a stick of chalk held flat, chalk over the back. Then tape it in place on the boat side & go over the lines with a softish pencil & the chalk will be transferred to the boat. Don't try to do too much at once.

Steve

That's how I was taught years ago, but remember that laying out is only the start. Buying the right paint, brushes etc isn't cheap and the skill to use them takes time to develop. There is nowhere to hide on a cabin side! For a decent job, get a professional..and I'm not bidding for this job!

Dave

That's how I was taught years ago, but remember that laying out is only the start. Buying the right paint, brushes etc isn't cheap and the skill to use them takes time to develop. There is nowhere to hide on a cabin side! For a decent job, get a professional..and I'm not bidding for this job!

Dave

I'd agree wholeheartedly, knowing how & actually doing it are worlds apart! I had mine done by a pro!!

Steve