Chillington Wharf railway interchange basin Interactive Panorama

HaraldJoergens

Featured Posts

If any track has been removed the owners will be duty bound to replace it, a fact Wolverhampton City could enforce, I believe all is in the listing.

A little known fact is that around 2007 "Moving Forward" an engineering initiative I was involved in tried to acquire the site. One of our members was heavily connected with the rail industry and knew the right people to talk to in EWS and Network Rail. We had then three historic narrow boats, a class 87 loco and other rolling stock which needed a base and home. Chillington would have been perfect, however despite the connections we had, nothing came of the scheme, "Moving Forward" did not succeed in its ambitions and the stock was returned to donors and sold off to other parties. This is how Millfields school at Brownhills got their narrow boat "Tucana" btw.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

If any track has been removed the owners will be duty bound to replace it, a fact Wolverhampton City could enforce, I believe all is in the listing.

A little known fact is that around 2007 "Moving Forward" an engineering initiative I was involved in tried to acquire the site. One of our members was heavily connected with the rail industry and knew the right people to talk to in EWS and Network Rail. We had then three historic narrow boats, a class 87 loco and other rolling stock which needed a base and home. Chillington would have been perfect, however despite the connections we had, nothing came of the scheme, "Moving Forward" did not succeed in its ambitions and the stock was returned to donors and sold off to other parties. This is how Millfields school at Brownhills got their narrow boat "Tucana" btw.

Are Millfields School using their boat?

It seems to be a floating classroom

Apologies for not stopping to help the other day, I got caught up in maneuvering through moored boats and didn't think

Richard

The hull work and mechanical side is finished which was my concern when at the dock, being a rare type of boat we wanted her to retain the integrity of the original build as was possible. The final interior scheme is underway and the fit out is ongoing at present, they are undertaking the fit out at the school mooring.

It seems to be a floating classroom

Apologies for not stopping to help the other day, I got caught up in maneuvering through moored boats and didn't think

Richard

That's OK Richard. It was a puzzle to us as we couldn't find anything on the prop but something was there!! After much time spent our long boat hook found a large interesting log that had been under the water for a great length of time had caught itself to the underside of the boat & was catching on the prop. Much relief as we thought it was something serious!! Saw Tawny Owl later at Polesworth but no sign of you.

The BCN Society did indeed have a number of meeting with Wolverhampton Council, EWS and the Railway Heritage Trust. EWS seemed keen to see the basin restored and the Railway Heritage Trust were prepared to help with funding. At that time the project included conserving the overhead crane.

In the end the project stalled because of the concerns of the local manager at Wolverhampton Steel terminal. At the time the sidings around the basin were still being used for storing wagons and also steel billets placed onto the ground. They seemed bothered that even if the basin could be sympathetically fenced off from the tracks it was not an arrangement that met the safety requirements of the site.

I don't recall any problems with asbestos although the basin roof has some structural problems. Rectification of these was part of the proposals.

The original listing was made in 1995.

Regards

Martin O'Keeffe

• 2 weeks later...

I noted from the train on Saturday that the covering of the basin area is quite complete. If there are any tracks there, then they are buried. As for listing, I believe the Thomas Perry cast iron bridge over the basin entrance carrying the towpath is not listed. This bridge then spanned the basin entrance for the Chillington Iron Company wharves.

I noted from the train on Saturday that the covering of the basin area is quite complete. If there are any tracks there, then they are buried. As for listing, I believe the Thomas Perry cast iron bridge over the basin entrance carrying the towpath is not listed. This bridge then spanned the basin entrance for the Chillington Iron Company wharves.

There's an easy job for you Ray, be a piece of cake getting that listed as its part of a already listed site.

i am afraid I have no longer any faith in Historic England, Historic Wales appears more approachable. Besides some of the old English Heritage listings comprise the bulk of the website that records structures in England. Including some bad errors. When I put together the last book, I noted references to the Middlewich Branch for the 1790's when it was made some 40 years later.