Horn signals

Ray T

Featured Posts

Two weeks ago, approximately.

I am approaching Barbridge junction from Middlewich so for me it is a T junction. Single-handed with a bridge over it.

No way can I see what is happening on the other two legs.

I approach very slowly, necessary or I won't complete the (left) turn in one.

I hoot twice to indicate I wish to turn left.

No reply.

I continue very slowly.

As I project just past the turn, another long boat comes flashing past at speed, straight across the junction.

At this point my bow must be visible to anybody on the other two legs.

I reverse quickly and wait for him to pass and then start the forward crawl again.

A second boat travels past my bow straight across the junction.

I stop the boat and wait as before.

At the third attempt I get round.

What (in an ideal world) should the sequence of sound signals have been?

[Further complications developed as I went through the moorings but they would not have been helped by any sound signals.]

I think the reality of places like Barbridge is that however much you use correct sound signals, the close proximity of the very busy road would make it confusing for anybody approaching from the main line. This is made worse because a lot of narrow boat horns sound very similar to car horns. Remember too that Barbridge is a busy place because it is a focal point on the 4 Counties ring with many hire boats who are very unlikely to understand the meaning of a signal.

In your case, being single handed, I don't think it is realistic to expect sound signals to be effective, so what you did - proceeding very slowly and being prepared to stop/ reverse - is all you can realistically do. The alternative of everyone blowing horns would not help the situation and might only lead to more frustration.

Howard

• Greenie 1

I think the reality of places like Barbridge is that however much you use correct sound signals, the close proximity of the very busy road would make it confusing for anybody approaching from the main line. This is made worse because a lot of narrow boat horns sound very similar to car horns. Remember too that Barbridge is a busy place because it is a focal point on the 4 Counties ring with many hire boats who are very unlikely to understand the meaning of a signal.

In your case, being single handed, I don't think it is realistic to expect sound signals to be effective, so what you did - proceeding very slowly and being prepared to stop/ reverse - is all you can realistically do. The alternative of everyone blowing horns would not help the situation and might only lead to more frustration.

Howard

Better than the boats that regularly seem to come under the bridge from the Middlewich Branch at full tilt and appear to be trying to park in the (former) Jolly Tar car park!

Better than the boats that regularly seem to come under the bridge from the Middlewich Branch at full tilt and appear to be trying to park in the (former) Jolly Tar car park!

Happened to me about 14 years ago. We were heading from Nantwitch to Chester direction and a Norman cruiser flew out from under the bridge with no horn signals, and as you say heading for JT car park. We pushed him a good few meters sideways. Sounded like major damage, but just a bit of wood broken on the Norman; they are tough boats. Good thing we were going very slowly.

ps hope you are OK Dave.

Edited by Guest