Starter battery advice.

Featured Posts

I need to buy a new engine start battery as my old one is dead. I have measured the old one and it measures 34cm in length 17 depth and 23 high. I looked at the CCA Rating and unfortunately the rating has rubbed off the label. What CCA rating should be the minimum to start my beta marine 1305 engine? The other issue I only have £50-60 to spend on one. The terminals are opposite each other and on one side of the battery. The battery won't be used frequently but will be on a 3 stage dual output battery charger to keep it charged.

Many thanks. James.

The problem is most decent sized batterys are too big by around 12mm to fit into the battery box so can only find this one. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-100AH-Leisure-Marine-Dual-Purpose-Heavy-Duty-Battery-SuperBatt-CLM100-/201110965785?hash=item2ed325ce19:g:xk4AAOSw9NxTwsr5

It would fit but is the CCA high enough?

Thankscheers.gif . James

Auto batteries are almost all made standard sizes, if you look at most suppliers website they have a sizing tool

Result on one - as its ony 1335 cc any batts for a similar size diesel car would be fine

https://www.tayna.co.uk/All-SX-1.html?stype=cat&A-1=R246-276&A-2=R160-190&A-3=R205-235&A-5=IMG-4&A-6=IMG-10

Ray

Edited by raymondh

Thanks everyonecheers.gif

I have ordered one of these for my Beta 1305.: https://www.tayna.co.uk/072-Powerline-Car-Battery-P8897.html I'll see how it performs. I borrowed a fellow boaters jump leads and started the engine off the domestic bank and I'm glad to say that after 2 years of not running it started after the 3rd crank of the key. Ran it for an hour and it ticked over lovely. Was expecting a bit of smoke/ steam but none and purred lovely. The fellow boater said it's a good engine. Next plan is to fit the new battery and change the oil/filter and renew the gearbox oil. The fluids were changed just before it was laid up.

Jamescheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?

I have one of the same make label and capacity on the van. 2 years on no probs.

Congrads on the boat start up. Happy crusing.

Edit to improve manners

Good to know. I plan on getting out more, when I can, as I haven't been out the marina for 2 years due to working/ skint or other commitments. Wish I could gather enough funds in the winter and cruise all spring/summer!

Jamescheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?

The battery arrived yesterday and so I installed the new battery today. Started first time. I have to say I like Beta Marine engines! Considering it's not ran for 2 years it seems to run as sweetly as before. Checked the stern gland and turned the greaser as checked the weed-hatch was still leak-proof, which it was. Going to do an oil and filter change and get more diesel and add more fuel-set. Then start getting out more!

Jamescheers.gif

If it's not been run much over the last couple of years I would check the bottom of the diesel tank for water and diesel generally for black slime (bug). Hopefully there will not be any, but you don't want to block up the diesel filter or get water in your injectors.

A few mins on this now may save a lot of grief.

Good it started first go.

If it's not been run much over the last couple of years I would check the bottom of the diesel tank for water and diesel generally for black slime (bug). Hopefully there will not be any, but you don't want to block up the diesel filter or get water in your injectors.

A few mins on this now may save a lot of grief.

Good it started first go.

Good idea. What would be the best way of getting a sample? cheers.gif James.

Good idea. What would be the best way of getting a sample? cheers.gif James.

If the tank has a lowest point drain pipe - a pipe very low down on the tank which may have a tap but will have a cap. Not all tanks do. You can take a bottom of the tank sample from here.

If you have a oil extraction pump (pella) then stick a tube down the filler hole to the bottom of the tank and suck some diesel out. Diesel floats on water, so if there is water it will be in a layer at the very bottom of the tank - hence important to put the end of your sampling pipe close to the bottom. See if you suck up diesel or water or a mixture.

If you have a water separator/agglomerator that should be checked as well by opening the drain cock underneath and running out a sample.

To get a general sample of fuel to check for bug you can also lower a pipe into the tank, seal the top with your finger, pull it out of the tank fairly quickly, then let the contents drain into a glass to see the fuel. Best to wash the glass before using for beer.

Clean diesel can go back in the tank.