New paintwork - protection

Featured Posts

Hello a paint question for you all please, we are in process with a new build, the paintwork is just being applied. Has anyone here had any paint protection applied after the top coat, either as a clear varnish or along the lines as used on cars. Mainly to help protect colour and help prevent deterioration from the elements etc. I'd be interested to here your experience and if you though it is worth the cost. Thank you.

Edited by cmayflower

I would follow the advice that your painter gives. If you apply anything he doesnt advise I wonder what his reply will be if you then have paint problems? If its painted well you it should be fine. Good wax is worth the money obviously not applied to soon after painting.

Ian.

We had our boat lacquered as a top coat, still good after 6 years.

Needs looking after as much as paint does however. Boat gets polished twice a year with Craftmaster canuba wax.

Still susceptible to scratch damage due to overhanging foliage which is not always possible to avoid.

We had our boat lacquered as a top coat, still good after 6 years.

Needs looking after as much as paint does however. Boat gets polished twice a year with Craftmaster canuba wax.

Still susceptible to scratch damage due to overhanging foliage which is not always possible to avoid.

Thank you Ray

I'm not expecting to prevent every scratch, I'm more interested in keeping the quality and depth of the colours, with the help of either lacquer/polish/wax or a combination, it sounds like the lacquered top coat is working for you :-)

Yes I agree with Ray T, had boat painted in 07/08 with 2 pack paint[sprayed application], was asked if I wanted lacquered coat[2 coats] cost £300 extra would do same again, compared to boats in marina hand painted by marina staff where I am at same time & after mine still in good order if some fading on doors[which I found out were not treated] but still overall good after 8yrs. would say worth extra cost, also my boat was not new, made in 87 so new metal and paint should last & wear well in my opinion.

If you want a fade resistant colour don't paint it red or yellow as these are the most fade prone colours. If you haven't already painted use 2 pack which as far superior fade and gloss retention qualities than the traditional stuff.

Clear over base 2 pack is generally used for metallic finishes although you can still clear coat over solids.

If you want a fade resistant colour don't paint it red or yellow as these are the most fade prone colours. If you haven't already painted use 2 pack which as far superior fade and gloss retention qualities than the traditional stuff.

Clear over base 2 pack is generally used for metallic finishes although you can still clear coat over solids.

Yep, we know the bit about the red, but we have a bit of red for coach lines and the top rail areas, the rest is cream and blue, and we are using Awlgrip/Awlcraft paints.

Yes I agree with Ray T, had boat painted in 07/08 with 2 pack paint[sprayed application], was asked if I wanted lacquered coat[2 coats] cost £300 extra would do same again, compared to boats in marina hand painted by marina staff where I am at same time & after mine still in good order if some fading on doors[which I found out were not treated] but still overall good after 8yrs. would say worth extra cost, also my boat was not new, made in 87 so new metal and paint should last & wear well in my opinion.

Thank you

If you do get fade you can enrich colour with an anti uv alkyd varnish. Not polyurethane. As Mr Moore says however you have to keep a good eye on it and recoat prob every two/ three years. Look at a recent post called red/maroon paint fade it has a couple of images.

Edited by mark99