alde vertical boiler circulation pump not working

Featured Posts

One of my boats has an old Alde vertical boiler. The circulation pump is an integral type and not reliable. Is it feasible and/or worthwhile to plumb in a separate pump rather than shell out for another rather tinny alde pump?

I could put it on a separate switch. Thermostat is not needed. The boat has a multifuel stove anyway but the Alde is useful for getting a tank of hot water without running the engine. I don't want to fit a boiler to the fire.

Which pump is the best one to use for this purpose and where should it be fitted? Noise isn't a big deal as it's just for hot water and won't be running overnight.

Ta

Our ex hire NB had an external pump fitted, I think it was a standard modification to the fleet as the pump in the reservoir was a bit weedy. Just wire your existing room thermostat to the new external pump.

and remove the original internal impeller unit completely

Edited by IDS

OK thanks. I have some pwm speed controllers. I wonder if it would be possible to get the hot water quicker by speeding up (or slowing down) the circulation pump manually. As it is just for hot water this would be an interesting option to look at. A manually operated speed controller.

OK thanks. I have some pwm speed controllers. I wonder if it would be possible to get the hot water quicker by speeding up (or slowing down) the circulation pump manually. As it is just for hot water this would be an interesting option to look at. A manually operated speed controller.

Whats the point of doing this?

The calorifier will be able to absorb all the heat the Aldi can chuck out so why would you want to heat your hot water any slower than 'as fast as possible'? This would just lead to the Aldi cycling on and off as the heat is transferred more slowly to the calorifier.

It might be that you can slow the pump (to use less leccy) whilst still heating the caulifower just as quickly. Pump noise would reduce too so it might be worth using a PWM controller to fish for such a sweet spot.

That's a good thing to try. I see what you mean about the clorifier soaking up all the energy anyway good point.

Note that the pump I suggested comes in three different speed versions. All three are physically the same I believe, and the slower two are made slower I believe, by a built in PWM circuit so an external PWM contoller may interfere.

Consequently I'd suggest buying the fastest speed one if adding your own adjustable PWM controller.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Keep us posted on how you get on with this project. I've also got an Alde upright - pump has behaved so far but I've seen the cost of a replacement if it does konk out! Where do you intend to fit a pump - my access to pipework is likely to be limited - I assume it would go on the output side somewhere near the Alde.