boat width

wollix

Featured Posts

Presumably this only applies to narrowboats? My boat is 12' wide and I leave my sidefenders down all the time. On the canals I can only fit into double locks anyway, which leaves 2' free and in Thames locks I wouldn't wedge myself alongside another boat - I'd always make sure there is a gap between us.

I've always wondered about this, but I dont think users on the Thames would like to have their pride and joy sitting next to a narrow boat that hasnt got any fenders, and thousands of boats use the Thames locks and I havent heard of one sink because of the fenders.

If the arguement about side fenders is 100% true then on the same reasoning NO boats should have any rope fenders bow or stern either, because these also cause problems such as lifting gates or dragging boats down as the water rises.

I think its the same as car bumpers, sometimes they serve a useful purpose, sometimes they dont, sometimes they get ripped off by passing too close to a wall or other object, or they can catch in peoples clothing.

It just all depends.

Fenders down or fenders up your choice but don't come to me when your boat is stuck or worse still sunk. <_<

ps. this is not aimed at 'fender'

All I know is that the only time my fenders go down is when I am moored. Stops all that banging at night. :)

If the arguement about side fenders is 100% true then on the same reasoning NO boats should have any rope fenders bow or stern either, because these also cause problems such as lifting gates or dragging boats down as the water rises.

Yes but the difference is that if you're careful and keep your eye on the position your boat in a lock then there's no reason to get your bow or stern fender caught on a gate, whereas with side fenders down you won't know you're boat's stuck until it's too late.

<_< BUT on the topic of fenders.

Sections of tyre make good bow fenders (e.g. cut to fit the profile of the stempost) as they are very unlikely to get caught under lock gates but still provide the protection that fenders are there for. Add more tyre pieces for extra protection!

PS. I admit that this may not be the most aesthetically pleasing solution.

Edited by grunders

Yes but the difference is that if you're careful and keep your eye on the position your boat in a lock then there's no reason to get your bow or stern fender caught on a gate, whereas with side fenders down you won't know you're boat's stuck until it's too late.

Obviously in a narrow lock fenders arent much help. I used to have a 70 footer and yes I preferred tyres to prevent the bows getting trapped under the balance beams, rope fenders wern't much good.

Some workboats did lift their bow fenders up when ascending locks and relied on the front rubbing strake instead. I still see boats occasionally doing this.

Edited by fender

I have been saying for some years now that there is no reason why we can't now revert back to a wider, say 7ft boats. You never see a badly 'squeezed' lock chamber these days and I can't remember when when my 6ft 10in boat would not fit in any narrow lock with 2ins to spare.

There are a couple on the HNC that (depending on the height at which the beam exceeds 6'10") that won't pass a 7' boat.

Trust me, I've dragged a boat that had passed the entire west side (including 21W that is a bit tight) and Standedge out of 42E with a landy because it was suck fast. The same boat wouldn't pass through 32E.

At least two of the paired locks on the T&M are marked as narrow.

The Chesterfield really is 6'10"

When I was talking to someone about the Wilts & Berks canal they mentioned that many locks on the narrow canal system were rather tight or sometimes impassible for some old working boats, who's beam had spread a bit. He mentioned that the Wilts & Berks locks were actually built a little wider than most narrow locks, being at least 7'6" and so would allow all narrowboat to pass when it's finally restored...