Where is this boat?

Roger Murray

Featured Posts

Anyone know the whereabouts of tug called 'The Duchess of Athol' She's a small pretty looking wooden tug.

Nothing sinister about this enquiry, just that have been going over old memories of when moored next to her with the Steamer Monarch nearly thirty years ago at Little Venice and was chatting to her then owner, and the proverbial question came up. 'I wonder where she is now?' Hence this posting.

Roger

rogermurray.co.uk

Didn't Wyvern Shipping have a boat with the same name back in the 50s? Just a thought....

Dave

Yes, originally a Nurser butty, which was cut into two in 1959 and converted into hire boats, the front end retaining the name and the back end becoming Lady Flora. My parents hired the Duchess of Atholl from Wyvern Shipping in about 1967.

Previous thread here .

I last saw her about 1980, but she was extant in London in 2009. I suspect however she may no longer be with us.

I asked about 'The Duchess of Athol,' as years ago we were moored next to her with the steamer Monarch at Little Venice. Lisa,the girl who owned and lived on her, was at the time in charge of moorings. She lives in Bahrain now, and we were reminiscing on Facebook when she asked if I knew where her old boat was now, hence the posting. I have special memories of the boat, because it was one of those situations where you remembered where you were on a special day. i/e For instance when President Kennedy died etc, I was staying on 'The Duchess of Athol one night, and for some reason couldn't sleep, waking up in the early hours and switching the radio on, just in time to hear a news bulletin about a crash in a Paris Tunnel, then about Princess Diana's death. I cried my eyes out, feeling foolishly embarrassed about myself. So the boat does has that special memory. To those out there with lewd thoughts! No I didn't sleep with dear Lisa. Gorgeous as she was, and probably still is!
Roger.