Overnight stop near-ish to Saltaire.

Pete Glynn

Featured Posts

Myself, family and a friend are hiring from Silsden Boats for a long weekend in September. We intend going east via the Bingley Five Rise. As we won't be departing until 2 ish Friday afternoon we know we won't get up the Five Rise that day, but intend mooring about a mile before them and going through Saturday morning.

Given that we have to have the boat back early Monday morning, can you good people make suggestions for our Saturday overnight stop.

Have titled this post such that an uneducated look at the map suggests that's about where we're going to be at, late Saturday afternoon, we don't have a particular desire to stop there.

Any and all advice would be very welcome.

Thank you in anticipation,

Pete

Edited by Pete Glynn

Myself, family and a friend are hiring from Silsden Boats for a long weekend in September. We intend going east via the Bingley Five Rise. As we won't be departing until 2 ish Friday afternoon we know we won't get up the Five Rise that day, but intend mooring about a mile before them and going through Saturday morning.

Given that we have to have the boat back early Monday morning, can you good people make suggestions for our Saturday overnight stop.

Have titled this post such that an uneducated look at the map suggests that's about where we're going to be at, late Saturday afternoon, we don't have a particular desire to stop there.

Any and all advice would be very welcome.

Thank you in anticipation,

Pete

If you press on through Shipley there is a nice spot just before you go into the woods or you can moor in the woods themselves.

You can then wind the boat immediately after the redundant steel rail bridge just before the three lock flight and head back.

The obvious spots, off the top of my head, would be:

- just below Dowley Gap Locks, about a mile before Saltaire, which would be handy for a drink and/or meal at the canalside Fisherman's Inn;

- in Saltaire itself, which is lovely and has several food and drink options. The visitor moorings are restricted to 4 hours (I think), but there'll be space just before them (near the ice cream boat) or just after;

- at Ashley Wharf (think that's right...) visitor moorings in Shipley, which is a nice enough spot but neither scenic nor handy for anything in particular;

- at Gallow's Bridge visitor mooring in Shipley (if it's empty), which again is nice enough, and handy for Aldi and McDonald's. Just watch out you don't end up the wrong side of a locked gate, on the adjacent private moorings!

- or somewhere on the quiet stretch between Shipley and Field Locks, if you fancy being in the middle of nowhere and don't mind doing an extra swing bridge or two

You could happily play it by ear, really; stop to eat at the Fisherman's, or walk round Saltaire, or whatever, and see if you feel like pressing on in the early evening. Assuming you're happy enough to hammer some pins in, you'll have no trouble mooring on that quiet stretch before Field Locks.

• 3 months later...

O.K. My plan.

We have the boat from Fri, early afternoon, required to be back at Silsden Boats, Mon morning.

Fri, from the yard, overnight at bridge No. 198 at Riddlesden, couple of pubs within a mile or so. (Octagon bar and Airedale Heifer).

Sat. Through Saltaire and Shipley to winding hole next to bridge No. 211A, then back to bridge No. 211 at Baildon, another couple of pubs on the B6038 Otley Road. (Halfway House and New Inn)

Sun. Return to Silsden and overnight at Silsdens boatyard.

Obviously Sunday is the longest day. Considering we are returning via Bingley Five Rise, am I a bit ambitious?

According to Nick's Canal Route Planner — CanalPlanAC, it's 8 hours 49 mins, but I wonder if that allows for delays at Bingley Five Rise, probably not.

Any and all comments, criticisms, insults, alternative suggestions welcomed.

Pete

O.K. My plan.

We have the boat from Fri, early afternoon, required to be back at Silsden Boats, Mon morning.

Fri, from the yard, overnight at bridge No. 198 at Riddlesden, couple of pubs within a mile or so. (Octagon bar and Airedale Heifer).

Sat. Through Saltaire and Shipley to winding hole next to bridge No. 211A, then back to bridge No. 211 at Baildon, another couple of pubs on the B6038 Otley Road. (Halfway House and New Inn)

Sun. Return to Silsden and overnight at Silsdens boatyard.

Obviously Sunday is the longest day. Considering we are returning via Bingley Five Rise, am I a bit ambitious?

According to Nick's Canal Route Planner — CanalPlanAC, it's 8 hours 49 mins, but I wonder if that allows for delays at Bingley Five Rise, probably not.

Any and all comments, criticisms, insults, alternative suggestions welcomed.

Pete

I seriously wouldn't waste a night of a short break holiday moored at Silsden boats on your last night. I know the boats have to be back by 9 but I would moor up away from the yard and pootle in the next morning.

Fair comment Martin, might have another look at the map, look at somewhere 1/2 to 1 hour away.

Last time we did it ISTR we moored in Riddlesden on our last night but we cut it fine setting off about 8ish from memory, we got to Silsden about ten past nine. They din't penalise us for it though.

I lost about ten minutes as I picked up a brolly on the prop the minute we moved off the mooring at Riddlesden, so if that hadn't happened we probably would have been bang on time.

I would set off earlier if doing it again or moor closer to Silsden.

My views on your plan are

Keep going past Riddlesden there are no pubs worth visiting. Stay before SB 198A at East Morton and walk up the hill to the Busfield Arms.

Also the pubs you mention in Shipley/Baildon are not worth a visit - either stick to your plan and stay at that bridge but walk down to the river and take the river path to Esholt where you can visit The Woolpack of Emmerdale fame or wind at the Bradford Arm prior to Dock Lane SB and stay on Ashley Lane VM in Shipley then you can choose from all the hostelries both Shipley & Saltaire have to offer. You will need to allow extra time for descending/ascending 3 & 5 rise. Sometimes you can wait up to 2 hours

Many thanks for this Jessica, it is what I was really hoping for, local knowledge, and your comment on the wait at the 3 & 5 rise is useful. Although I don't know the area, my "gut feel" felt I was ambitious in terms of distance. All the pubs mentioned were on the CAMRA WhatPub website, but again, you can't beat local knowledge, particularly as we intend to eat in a pub every night.

Your comment on staying Saturday night at the Ashley Lane Visitors moorings is also good, as I felt I was reading a lot of mixed feelings and misinformation about mooring overnight in Shipley.

Additionally Jessica, how well do you know Silsden? Martins comment above is spot on about not spending our final night in the boatyard, but doing my internet and Nicholson research, I can't really see anything within a reasonable time-frame to get us back to the boatyard by 9 AM Monday.

Again, many thanks for your help Jessica,

Pete

The visitors mooring in Shipley is a lovely spot. From the towpath you have 5 mins walk into Saltaire or 3 into Shipley. There are loads of pubs & restaurants in both. The Boathouse in Saltaire is good for food - if you want Indian food there are loads in Shipley. Zaaras is particularly good.

There is a lovely quiet mooring spot just after Bridge 197 I think. It's on the off side and the mooring posts are painted like toadstools. I think it's called Carr Delph. From there you would be about half an hour into Silsden

The visitors mooring in Shipley is a lovely spot. From the towpath you have 5 mins walk into Saltaire or 3 into Shipley. There are loads of pubs & restaurants in both. The Boathouse in Saltaire is good for food - if you want Indian food there are loads in Shipley. Zaaras is particularly good.

There is a lovely quiet mooring spot just after Bridge 197 I think. It's on the off side and the mooring posts are painted like toadstools. I think it's called Carr Delph. From there you would be about half an hour into Silsden

It is indeed a nice enough spot but when I moored there last week we awoke the next morning to find the boat full of ants. By the way, the Boathouse in Saltaire has been closed for the last few months due to flood damage, or at least that's what their web-site says so I tried the Waterside Bar and Grill in Wharf Street. Food and drink were excellent but a little overpriced given the total lack of ambience. The restaurant/bar has a very 'temporary' feel to it..

• 2 weeks later...

Stefano's Italian is very good but you need to book, also Bilaluci is a great place for breakfast (you could call in after handing the boat back). I would moor a bit out of Silsden - perhaps just before or after the Brunthwaite Swing Bridge and stroll into town for the evening, but check the towpath it can be very muddy around that area!