Calorifier in wet locker?

Featured Posts

Is there any/enough warmth from a vertical calorifier installed in the back cabin of a boat to a.) keep some warmth within the locker and b.) if so is it useful enough warmth for drying off wet weather gear?

Or are they so well insulated nowadays that you wouldn't notice?

Thank you

Edited by cmayflower

Mine certainly does - but I designed it that way; certainly when the engine's running which is strange 'cos I can get my engine hot (unless of course the thermometer is reading low I must check it).

It's what they used to call an airing cupboard -

full height and calorifier installed below the floor level, so that natural convection forces a draught through the bilges.

I have arranged slats above the calorifier for drying clothes and huge towels.

Water laden air then (hopefully) rises and exhausts through a mushroom vent in the roof.

The sides and the walls of the cupboard are insulated as well.

The vertical calorifier is some years old and is quite a large capacity for a boat - but I don't know how well insulated it is.

the pipes within are not insulated.

Does that help?

I have a small (~30cm) finrad in the bottom of one cupboard which is connected on the return from the calorifier to the engine. Won't affect the heating of the calorifier but provides a bit if background warmth to help dry clothes.

• Greenie 1

Thank you Old Goat and dor.

We thought we might need something additional, I'm guessing without another form of heating the cupboard would not get warm at all.

Mine does, its upright and inside the boat and it acts as an airing cupboard, although as ive extra insulated the tank it leaks less heat but still works as an warm cupboard