Need to move up the Thames. Advice ( locals only )

Terryb

Featured Posts

Morning guys, I am really starting to get irritated by the conditions here. I would never have paid all that money to be sitting with nowhere to go and no end in site.

I am not seeing very much change in conditions and the Red Boards are still out. My big problem is that over the next few days we will be getting more rain coming into the system from the west. exasperating the situation. Is there anyone local that understands these conditions, that could shine some light on my rather gloomy outlook.

UPDATE > > > >UPDATE > > > > I'm on the move. We have gone to Yellow Receding. YAY !!!

Edited by Terryb

Terry,

If you look upriver flows are dropping fast and lockies are shutting in . Without rain I would expect flows to be back to "manageable " levels in a few days and most red boards removed.

The return of any quantities of rain will obviously return the river to high flows and red boards.

Paul

kremmen, on 02 Apr 2016 - 08:59 AM, said:kremmen, on 02 Apr 2016 - 08:59 AM, said:

Terry,

If you look upriver flows are dropping fast and lockies are shutting in . Without rain I would expect flows to be back to "manageable " levels in a few days and most red boards removed.

The return of any quantities of rain will obviously return the river to high flows and red boards.

Paul

That's strange - I checked a few minutes ago and the report published at 09:08 still shows the majority of the River is on Reds.

A few are on yellows - but's that's more due to local conditions.

See below:-

Upstream of St John's Lock Caution stream decreasing St John's Lock to Buscot Lock Caution strong stream Buscot Lock to Grafton Lock Caution stream decreasing Grafton Lock to Radcot Lock Caution strong stream Radcot Lock to Rushey Lock Caution strong stream Rushey Lock to Shifford Lock Caution strong stream Shifford Lock to Northmoor Lock Caution strong stream Northmoor Lock to Pinkhill Lock Caution stream decreasing Pinkhill Lock to Eynsham Lock Caution strong stream Eynsham Lock to King's Lock Caution strong stream King's Lock to Godstow Lock Caution strong stream Godstow Lock to Osney Lock Caution strong stream Osney Lock to Iffley Lock Caution stream decreasing

Oxford to Henley Back to Map

Reach Current conditions Iffley Lock to Sandford Lock Caution stream decreasing Sandford Lock to Abingdon Lock Caution strong stream Abingdon Lock to Culham Lock Caution strong stream Culham Lock to Clifton Lock Caution strong stream Clifton Lock to Day's Lock Caution strong stream Day's Lock to Benson Lock Caution strong stream Benson Lock to Cleeve Lock Caution strong stream Cleeve Lock to Goring Lock Caution strong stream Goring Lock to Whitchurch Lock Caution strong stream Whitchurch Lock to Mapledurham Lock Caution strong stream Mapledurham Lock to Caversham Lock Caution strong stream Upstream of Blake's Lock Caution strong stream Caversham Lock to Sonning Lock Caution strong stream Sonning Lock to Shiplake Lock Caution strong stream Shiplake Lock to Marsh Lock Caution strong stream Marsh Lock to Hambleden Lock Caution strong stream

Henley to Teddington Back to Map

Reach Current conditions Hambleden Lock to Hurley Lock Caution strong stream Hurley Lock to Temple Lock Caution strong stream Temple Lock to Marlow Lock Caution strong stream Marlow Lock to Cookham Lock Caution strong stream Cookham Lock to Boulters Lock Caution strong stream Boulters Lock to Bray Lock Caution strong stream Bray Lock to Boveney Lock Caution strong stream Boveney Lock to Romney Lock Caution strong stream Romney Lock to Old Windsor Lock Caution strong stream Old Windsor Lock to Bell Weir Lock Caution strong stream Bell Weir Lock to Penton Hook Lock Caution strong stream Penton Hook Lock to Chertsey Lock Caution strong stream Chertsey Lock to Shepperton Lock Caution strong stream Shepperton Lock to Sunbury Lock Caution stream decreasing Sunbury Lock to Molesey Lock Caution strong stream Molesey Lock to Teddington Lock Caution stream decreasing

Outlook and information for boaters

River conditons

Flows have begun to decrease slowly following the recent heavy rain across the Thames Valley. The river will remain very sensitive to further rainfall. All boaters are advised to keep a close watch on conditions if planning to navigate over the next few days.

Cookham Lock - no public power

There is a fault with the electronic control system that means the lock is inoperable on public power. Consequently, the lock is closed when there is no lock keeper on duty. The fault is complicated and unique. We are working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible and will announce the date when the lock will return to 24 hour operation as soon as we can. We appreciate your patience during this period.

River obstructions

Due to recent strong stream conditions, many of the red and green marker buoys marking shoals and obstructions on the river have moved out of place. There will be shallow areas and shoals that are unmarked. If you are navigating in the coming weeks please do so with extreme caution. There are several marker buoys stuck underneath and around Swinford Toll Bridge (immediately upstream of Eynsham Lock). If you are navigating through this bridge please do so very carefully.

Suspension of River Thames conditions e-mail updates

Please note that due to technical issues we can no longer send out e-mails advising subscribers of any changes to the stream warning information. Until such time as we may be able to issue email updates again, please ensure that you visit the website to check the river conditions before venturing out on the river. Remember to refresh the page each time you log in so that you see the most up to date information.

Key
  • Caution strong stream
  • We advise users of all boats not to navigate because the strong flows make it difficult and dangerous.
  • Caution stream increasing
  • We advise users of all unpowered boats not to navigate and users of powered boats to find a safe mooring. This is because river flows are likely to strengthen and red boards could be displayed very soon and without warning.
  • Caution stream decreasing
  • We advise users of all unpowered boats not to navigate and users of powered boats to navigate with caution.
Floodline

This information is also available on Floodline. Call 0345 988 1188 or 0845 988 1188 and select option 1, followed by quick dial number 011131 to hear recorded information and advice.

Contacts
Related Links

Apart from making very slow progress, an inexperienced user (of the Thames) can easily be caught out and mooring up - except at lock laybys can cause mucky underwear.

Lockies will advise you not to proceed and (almost) make you sign a declaration.

BUT it's up to you........

edit: Bother! - on the data entry page it was al beautifully laid out - but the above is a bit messy - sorry.

Edited by OldGoat

Where are you heading Terry ? K and A or oxford ? If Oxford , the sticking points will be around Clifton and Culham and again above Osney Lock . Usually they come off red a couple days after the others . Have gone on red between Clifton and Culham . Didn't like it , won't do it again .If the K and A , we are seeing yellows creep on now . We are making a move tomorrow from Aldermaston to Oxford , well that's the plan , hoping for a dry few days , and no rain on the Chilterns. Bunny.

Advice / info from my marina - well upstream - and he has better info than I suggested yesterday that the river wasn't likely to get down to Yellows until Wednesday.

It's not so much the flow - per se - but eddies, streams joining the main river and bridge holes. TerryB came quite close to Tower Bridge's abutment in his video. Not a good idea.

Chertsey and Maidenhead come to mind for the latter and Shepperton lock where the Wey joins is a former.

post-4391-0-85553600-1459589840_thumb.pngpost-4391-0-51179800-1459589903_thumb.png

The 1st screenshot shows the rise and fall of the flow at Reading over the last month.

The 2nd screenshot shows the leve at Sonning over the last week and the blip at 7.20 this morning when lockie shut in.

Lockie is expecting to do more shutting in . When shutting in the flow goes down.

I don't disagree with waiting until the flow has lessened but it seems the OP has moved.

Paul.

Cheers chaps. And bunny. Lol

Well I spoke to the lock ie at Teddington and being a boater I expected he would be plying caution. However he had changed from red to yellow and reckoned it'd be ok.

O M G I hate it. Poor old Alfie sat for an hour and half at 3/4 throttle I'm guessing 3500 rpm. That's pushing my luck as I didn't have much left for emergencies.

I'm moored at Hampton now. Will get above the lock later. Does any one have a Chinnok to get me out of this torrent. Grrr

Well I spoke to the lock ie at Teddington and being a boater I expected he would be plying caution. However he had changed from red to yellow and reckoned it'd be ok.

O M G I hate it. Poor old Alfie sat for an hour and half at 3/4 throttle I'm guessing 3500 rpm. That's pushing my luck as I didn't have much left for emergencies.

I'm moored at Hampton now. Will get above the lock later. Does any one have a Chinnok to get me out of this torrent. Grrr

Lockie is probably used to gin palaces with plenty of power or gung ho narrowboat owners like the person you were moving with. Hold on until you are ready and the flow will come down ( assuming no rain )

When you do move watch out for side flows from weirs and other rivers / outlets as well as flow concentrating bridges.

Paul

Terryb, on 02 Apr 2016 - 11:27 AM, said:

Well, at least you've moved - methinks the Palace wardens will be sympathetic if you overstay slightly - they're a nice bunch. Tell them you're going to Choral Evensong in the chapel (magnificent building) and that bit's free... You can also walk around parts of the outside of the Palace for free as well

If the river's coming down that quick (it shows that the published report is too conservative) then you might be on Yellows - still strongish tomorrow.

If no-one's on duty at the locks, they're easy to operate yourself but READ THE INSTRUCTIONS on the pedestals first. On the square topped peds: the sluices (paddles) go up in three stages and you have to press for each stage. To lower press and hold until you hear the pump struggling.

On the round top gear - it's different press once MOMENTARILY ONLY or you'll lock the system out - and that's a pain.

You've told about Cookham.

Go for it...

Fuel's expensive Better Boating at Reading's about the cheapest.

• Greenie 2

Some good advice there chaps, grreenie for the OldGoat. Mike, I did consider doing an about turn, but £142 convinced me otherwise. I wish I had known how bad things coulkd be. But I'm between a rock and a hard place now.

Some good advice there chaps, grreenie for the OldGoat. Mike, I did consider doing an about turn, but £142 convinced me otherwise. I wish I had known how bad things coulkd be. But I'm between a rock and a hard place now.

But on the bright side, you ARE moored at Hampton Court, and afloat (sorry!). Explore for a while and chill.. Weather forecast is for not much rain so i recon it can only get better... biggrin.png

Mr Goat is right; the palace wardens are a pretty good bunch - we used to take lighting n sound in there for events..

Edited by lampini

Hi Terry,

Sorry it's been hard, you looked like you were going pretty well when you passed us this morning (I waved hi but knew you wouldn't hear if I tried to shout hello) :)

The palace are usually OK with overstaying for a small charge. Talk to the lockie at Molesey, they'll have a sense of where you'll be best off. Up at the next lock there's a pub that does a lovely roast if he agrees it'll be better further up. Sorry I can't be more help.

Lucy

Oh, and the river's been much calmer until the recent rain. It often calms down quick once the rain has finished. Hope you're having a better time soon! :)