I can't sleep for thinking battery configuration

AKULA

Featured Posts

Sorry yes it's a 12 volt system I've had a nightmare trying to find a place for 8 t125 Trojans. The only place I could find not in the boat was engine room sitting on the swim. So now I have 8 all in a single file not pairs of 2 opposite each other can I hell find a picture showing 8 in a row 6 volt batts to 12 volts I can't get the mental

Picture welcome to the world of 2 strokes. Once again I'd like to thank you all most kindly for you're input I can't stress how thankful I am. Best wishes mike

Apologies for asking, but what is the advantage in doubling up pairs of 6v batteries to give 12v batteries instead of just getting the required number of 12v batteries??

Colin T

In general bigger cells make a better battery.

The popular Trojan T105 has 3 big cells so gives 6 volts so you need two in series to give 12volt. If a battery had 6 cells of that size it would be very heavy to lift. Even better is to use proper tractions which contain only one Huge cell, so you would need 6 of these in series to make 12 volts. A single 12volt battery with traction sized cells would need a fork lift truck or small crane to install it.

...................Dave

Sorry yes it's a 12 volt system I've had a nightmare trying to find a place for 8 t125 Trojans. The only place I could find not in the boat was engine room sitting on the swim. So now I have 8 all in a single file not pairs of 2 opposite each other can I hell find a picture showing 8 in a row 6 volt batts to 12 volts I can't get the mental

Picture welcome to the world of 2 strokes. Once again I'd like to thank you all most kindly for you're input I can't stress how thankful I am. Best wishes mike

That's ~1000Ah at 12V which is a lot more than normal, begs the question do you really need that many?

That's ~1000Ah at 12V which is a lot more than normal, begs the question do you really need that many?

Well probably only 900, and maybe only 800 in the winter. (pedant alert!)

I think 8 is fine, we've got 6 and the big advantage is that I don't need to run the engine every day in winter, every other day is ok and just sometimes can manage 3 days, though the hot water is getting rather tepid by then.

However at 8 or more I would think that full Tractions would start to look the better option if you can find the space. (or failing that at least an automatic watering system).

..............Dave

I have a 120amp charger and a 4kw generator. I've room for 10 t105's and this amount will increase load on the genny making it more efficient and also increase time between charges, so decreasing the total amount of time the genny runs for short periods.