Paint mixing

tove

Featured Posts

Is there any reason why you shouldn't mix two different colours of coach enamel together?

If I wanted to mix, say, an International Toplac black with an International red in order to get the right colour is there any reason why that would be a bad idea?

Many thanks.

I'm not a paint expert, but I would say that in terms of the integrity of the paint, its use, and its longevity, no problem at all, as long as you mix identical types.

However if you wanted more than one mix of it, I think measuring it accurately enough to guarantee that each mix was an identical colour might be hard. OK perhaps if you use all of 2 times 750 ml cans, and have a can of at least 1.5L to mix them in, but if you wanted a mix that was not 50:50, I think you could hit problem with consistency to an exact colour.

As firms like NarrowBoatPaint (and probably many others), will match any colour you decide you want, why not use the professionals to mix the right colour, rather than trying to do so yourself? I can't recall being charged extra to have a colour matched.

I did this a couple of years ago. The first coat of Oxford blue looked too bright for our taste so for the second coat I mixed equal parts of Oxford with Midnight blue (same manufacturer). It came out just about right for us so we call our new colour Falcon blue. It's been on for 2 years now, still looks good and we will have no trouble duplicating it if we need to..