New warning signs at Knowle

Tom and Bex

Featured Posts

Many a true word spoken in jest, they say. I've been keeping a weather eye out for just such a proposal from CRT. A proposal to fit railings around ALL locks wouldn't surprise me one jot.It's already been done on many of the Thames locks.

(A fence to keep the public OUT, and boaters IN, that is)

Hopefully not all locks - that would be over zealous as it isn't necessary.

I'd prefer a sign to keep gongoozlers out ?

Seriously though it appears at face value that there is far more likelihood of a fall from the elevated lock islands at places like Knowle and Delph than from Marple viaduct. The consequences may be less certain but still potentially life changing and fatal.

I would go so far to say that we will see railings at such locations in due course.

Jon

Edited by Captain Pegg

Seriously though it appears at face value that there is far more likelihood of a fall from the elevated lock islands at places like Knowle and Delph than from Marple viaduct. The consequences may be less certain but still potentially life changing and fatal.

I would go so far to say that we will see railings at such locations in due course.

Jon

Delph flight already has railings on the "island" side. If the date on the photo at http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/825161 is correct, they have been there for about 30 years.

(Edit to put correct link in)

Edited by andy3196

Delph flight already has railings on the "island" side. If the date on the photo at http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/825161 is correct, they have been there for about 30 years.

(Edit to put correct link in)

Indeed it does. I should have checked first. Also the risks are lower because the weirs are at the foot rather than the head of the locks. Knowle does have risks that aren't universal to all locks so I will stick with it being method rather than madness.

JP

Jon

I suspect we won't see railings; that had been tried elsewhere, but introduced a new danger of being crushed between the end of the railing and the balance beam.

Many a true word spoken in jest, they say. I've been keeping a weather eye out for just such a proposal from CRT. A proposal to fit railings around ALL locks wouldn't surprise me one jot.

It's already been done on many of the Thames locks.

(A fence to keep the public OUT, and boaters IN, that is)

It's an EA policy thing. Down the Nene and Ouse, having fewer locks than CRT, and a very risk averse outlook, the majority of locks are fenced to keep the public out, and often have very large warning signs.

A further development in signage. Kintbury Lock balance beams today have huge yellow covers padlocked over them, saying something like "STRONG STREAM". Never seen these before. They appear to me to be inspired by the Thames red/yellow board warning system.

I'll take a photo on my way to the pub tonight, and post it here later...