The Bow

TimRatRace

Featured Posts

Hi, I'm still new to the forum, so please accept my apologies now if I am asking really obvious questions. I have owned my narrow boat for a number of years and now have two with a partner that we are long term renting out (we have mentioned this elsewhere and I don't want to sound like a droning advertisment!)........Now the latest boat that we have bought has a bow section with an open front leading right into the bow - what do people do with this area - is it best to door it off and use it for storage of anchors and the like or is it OK to leave it open which means you can see right into this void? I just don't have a clue - I am not at all practical (which I know is unusual in a narrowbaot owner!)....so please be patient with my description!

Are there any other inventive solutions????

Tim

Hi, I'm still new to the forum, so please accept my apologies now if I am asking really obvious questions. I have owned my narrow boat for a number of years and now have two with a partner that we are long term renting out (we have mentioned this elsewhere and I don't want to sound like a droning advertisment!)........Now the latest boat that we have bought has a bow section with an open front leading right into the bow - what do people do with this area - is it best to door it off and use it for storage of anchors and the like or is it OK to leave it open which means you can see right into this void? I just don't have a clue - I am not at all practical (which I know is unusual in a narrowbaot owner!)....so please be patient with my description!

Are there any other inventive solutions????

Tim

erm.... have you got a picture? It might help; being exceptionally dim (but opinionated) I have NO IDEA what you are talking about......

Hi Bones,

No, but I can probably take one on the weekend. It is that bit (here I go again!) where if you were to sit out under the cratch cover at the front on the small seats in the bow section that bit that goes off into the front of the boat.....having red this now I think I have even confused myself - so perhaps a picture it is!

I would hesitate to suggest that you put your gas bottles in there, so I won't.

isn't that where they do go?

Only if you have a boat that needs them :D , My boat will be gas free so the space? will be used for storing wood and any other thing that will fit.

Only if you have a boat that needs them ;) , My boat will be gas free so the space? will be used for storing wood and any other thing that will fit.

totally gas-free - like no nasty niffs or other forms of wind ?? :cheers::cheers::D

Getting back to the original question, traditional boats (not just narrowboats) used the pointed bit at the front as a 'chain locker' or compartment for the storage of ropes, chains and anchors etc.

On our boat, the bows section is used as our fresh water tank (containing sufficient for over a momnths cruising) and the chain/gas locker is sandwiched between the water compartment and the under-deck double berth - the area under the chain/gas locker can be accessed from the cabin area and houses the water pumps and accumulator etc.