To Ripon

Blake

Featured Posts

Can anyone give us advice? WE would like to get to Ripon via Thorne, Southfields junction, and Selby. We are 59'6" if we take off the fender. Canalplan says that only 57' boats can it

As member MartinClark says, the shortest lock in the known universe is Salterhebble middle lock and you can get a 60 foot boat through there no trouble......You'll p!ss it. :cheers: .......

As member MartinClark says, the shortest lock in the known universe is Salterhebble middle lock and you can get a 60 foot boat through there no trouble......You'll p!ss it. :cheers: .......

If you take off the stern fender and keep the tiller hard over you should get another few inches...

Nick

Can anyone give us advice? WE would like to get to Ripon via Thorne, Southfields junction, and Selby. We are 59'6" if we take off the fender. Canalplan says that only 57' boats can it

You might want to read The Tuesday Night Club's account of their travels with "Ernest", a 60ft narrowboat.

http://tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/tour97/index.html

I think this covered most of the route you wanted, and it was done in a 60 footer (If this is incorrect, I am sure someone on the forum will let you know).

regards

You might want to read The Tuesday Night Club's account of their travels with "Ernest", a 60ft narrowboat.

http://tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/tour97/index.html

I think this covered most of the route you wanted, and it was done in a 60 footer (If this is incorrect, I am sure someone on the forum will let you know).

regards

It says Ernest is 57' 6" long.......

"Earnest" basic specification :-

57' 6" semi-trad all steel shell and superstructure, 10 6 4mm spec.

2 side hatches and doors, steel tray type with wood lining and blocking.

2 x 13Kg gas bottles and auto change over valve in front bow locker.

Front "T" stud.

Front cockpit 4' 6" with side steel lockers, cratch no cover.

Large 150 gallon stainless steel water tank under high cockpit floor.

Hardwood front windows and doors with Yale type lock.

It says Ernest is 57' 6" long.......

Quite right!

However in the section "fabrication of steelwork" it also says that the actual length was 58' 6" plus a quarter inch.

I am almost sure I read in the text of some of their wonderful journeys that "Ernest" was a 60 ft nb, but that could be rounding up (we all do it), or indeed may, or may not, include fenders. Apart from saying the Ripon Canal locks were a little tight, there is no mention of taking fenders off.

Perhaps someone from the Tuesday Club might clarify.

Edited by Derek Porteous

thank you everyone for your encouragement - we are having great fun planning and may see you all around the cut.

any other advice is always welcome.

best wishes

Victoria Macdonald (I am not the telegraph correspondent)