Folding the topcloths on a working boat.

colinwilks

Featured Posts

Does anybody have a clever way of doing this which is easy to do single handed? The method I use to take the topcloths off (usually with two people) is:

1 - Having folded the tippet out of the way, fold the gunwale edges of the topcloth over to the opposite edge of the top plank from both sides. (Three thicknesses of material on the top plank)

2 - Do the same thing again with the doubled cloths, which gives a seven ply folded cloth only a little wider than the top plank.

3 - Roll the cloths in from both ends along the top plank so you end up with two Swiss rolls.

This method produces a bundle that is easy to handle and easy to redeploy by yourself by rolling it back along the top plank and dropping the sides down, but it isnt so easy to fold the cloths up single handed by this method, which really needs somebody at each end. Ive done it by myself in calm conditions, but there was more leaping from one end to the other than Id have liked. I dont like dragging the whole thing off onto the towpath, where it picks up mud, grit and dog poo.

Any cunning ideas out there?

Hi Colin, I have no knowledge of top cloths specifically, but for 3 I can suggest an alternative to the giant Swiss roll. In the theatre when folding large cloths (at the stage you are at 3) we would fold each end to the centre, so 14 thicknesses. Then do the same again, so 28 thicknesses. Then fold one half over the other.

This results in fewer creases than rolling it.

Hi Colin, I have no knowledge of top cloths specifically, but for 3 I can suggest an alternative to the giant Swiss roll. In the theatre when folding large cloths (at the stage you are at 3) we would fold each end to the centre, so 14 thicknesses. Then do the same again, so 28 thicknesses. Then fold one half over the other.

This results in fewer creases than rolling it.

I'm sure you're right. The rolling does tend to be more folding short lengths over each other due to the stiffness of the material, but the end product is ideal for putting the cloths back on since it wants to unfurl in the right way so this is easy to achieve single handed.

The trick I'm looking for is getting the cloths folded up in the first place on your tod!

The way I've done it in the past is, standing on the top plank (or if you feel more comfortable sitting astride it), grab one end of the cloth and walk (or bum-shuffle) backwards until you have folded the cloth in half. Repeat until you have a sensible sized strip of folded cloth across the boat - you may need to hop down sometimes and straighten the lower edges if they don't fold flat properly. If necessary slide the folded strip of cloth along the top plank to a point where you can stand on one of the cross planks, then lift either side up to fold it into 3.

The way I've done it in the past is, standing on the top plank (or if you feel more comfortable sitting astride it), grab one end of the cloth and walk (or bum-shuffle) backwards until you have folded the cloth in half. Repeat until you have a sensible sized strip of folded cloth across the boat - you may need to hop down sometimes and straighten the lower edges if they don't fold flat properly. If necessary slide the folded strip of cloth along the top plank to a point where you can stand on one of the cross planks, then lift either side up to fold it into 3.

As above but take each end to the centre & then fold again to the centre until you have approx 2 ft wide folded cloth across the width of boat. turn on top plank to fore & aft then fold ends to centre until you end up with a square package.

Thanks very much for the advice. I think the bottom line is that it's always easier if you have another pair of hands! Had hoped I was missing a trick, but on balance will carry on doing it the way that's familiar, and which does make clothing up on your own quick and easy.

Hoping to borrow a copy of the DVD "Topcloth and Tippet" from a friend, so perhaps that will have some gems.