Eberspacher D4WSC most basic 12v wiring set-up

Featured Posts

I'm just about at the stage in fitting our boat's new central heating system that it needs wiring up. It has come with a 701 series controller and a wiring loom with what appear to be several surplus tails. It's Eberspacher's '12v D4WSC Basic Narrowboat Kit'.

I want to be able to power the boiler up and switch it off, without worrying too much about going into seven day programmes, etc. If they happen to work though, that would be nice.

Bower's have given me some help over the phone, but the chap said that he thought I'd probably be okay without the relay that's supplied in the kit. I can follow the wiring diagram okay (I think), but if someone would be kind enough please to offer a bit of 'connect the 0.5mm red wire to the xxx...' advice, I'd be eternally grateful.

I have an electrical engineering friend who will come and help if need be, but I would prefer to have the satisfaction of doing it myself.

Thanks as always for any help.

Just wire the timer in according to the instructions and then you can use the bottom right hand button to switch the heater on and off and the middle button to change the length of time that it is on. This can be done without setting anything else up on the timer.

This is assuming you have the detailed installation instructions that should be supplied with the heater.

Edited by Loddon

4 wires are needed to operate the 701 timer, from the 4 way plug in the control box.

Red is the 12 v feed from the heater

Brown is ground/ negative

Yellow is the switch wire from the heater

Blue is for diagnostics

If you want to simply fire up the heater insert a switch between red and yellow.

Roger

Just wire the timer in according to the instructions and then you can use the bottom right hand button to switch the heater on and off and the middle button to change the length of time that it is on. This can be done without setting anything else up on the timer.

This is assuming you have the detailed installation instructions that should be supplied with the heater.

This is how we operate ours. It works perfectly as it defaults to a 1 hour burst which is ideal for a tank of water and for warming up the boat whilst the stove gets up to speed. Ours is mounted by the bed, which is an inspired location - as long as you can't prod it accidentally in the night!

As you have the 701 then you need nothing else, just install as per the instructions and it should be plug and play. If I understand you correctly and the loom has a relay then unless you are using matrix that will not be needed, it is designed to supply power to the vehicle matrix fan when installed in a car or van but is only triggered when the temperature sensor in the heater indicates the coolant is hot enough to supply heat from the matrix. Depending on the configuration you may need to plug in the relay but not use it.

Thanks very much. I kept seeing 'vehicle fan' in the instructions and wiring diagram but thought perhaps that was for cars and vans rather than the boat.

Though it is primarily for car fans I still use them when I fit matrix instead of radiators to boats, if you allow the fans to run too early the matrix never seem to get up to temperature.