Lister SR2 enquiry

Nick1969

Featured Posts

Hello,

I have an SR2 that is in my boat Flowers. I am attempting to follow the instructions for adjusting speed control on page 17 of the Instruction manual and parts list.I am however finding it rather difficult as I can't locate items 7-12 page 120 plate 16.When I open the fuel pump housing door I see the two pumps with fuel linkage in-between(item A page 31), I am confused, if I alter the spring here it un-callibrates the fuel pumps.

Am I looking in the wrong place,

or right place but misunderstanding.

My engine has always been sluggish and what with winter coming it would be good if I could squeeze a bit more power.

regards

Nick

That's the idling spring (204-21491). What are you hoping to achieve?

If you slacken the nut (204-21500) on the left end of the sleeve (204-21480), you can then rotate the sleeve. This won't change the length of the rack and upset the pumps

It won't give you any more power either

Richard

Hello,

I have an SR2 that is in my boat Flowers. I am attempting to follow the instructions for adjusting speed control on page 17 of the Instruction manual and parts list.I am however finding it rather difficult as I can't locate items 7-12 page 120 plate 16.When I open the fuel pump housing door I see the two pumps with fuel linkage in-between(item A page 31), I am confused, if I alter the spring here it un-callibrates the fuel pumps.

Am I looking in the wrong place,

or right place but misunderstanding.

My engine has always been sluggish and what with winter coming it would be good if I could squeeze a bit more power.

regards

Nick

Does this engine struggle to achieve governed maximum rpm only when in gear, and is slow to increase revs after opening the throttle, but revs more freely to max revs in neutral ?

That's the idling spring (204-21491). What are you hoping to achieve?

If you slacken the nut (204-21500) on the left end of the sleeve (204-21480), you can then rotate the sleeve. This won't change the length of the rack and upset the pumps

It won't give you any more power either

Richard

Many thank yous for that info. This has had me scratching my head for the last couple of weeks .The reason for asking is

the river is running faster so I Was hoping to squeeze a bit more power out of her, however you have made me realise that speed and power are perhaps slightly different.

If I wanted to gain more power out of her would that be possible.

I Thought that a bit of tweaking here and there would achieve my goal of gaining a bit more oomph.

When i'm holding the throttle down, it resists and the revs go down so I sit on top of the cabin and rest my foot on throttle which keeps the revs up, so this why I ask.

She feels like she has more to give , if you know what I mean.

I Really enjoy learning how this engine works and so I thank you for your help

Does this engine struggle to achieve governed maximum rpm only when in gear, and is slow to increase revs after opening the throttle, but revs more freely to max revs in neutral ?

Hi Tony, I don't think she is slow to increase but I have nothing to compare to so I wouldn't know. She;s like a tiger in a cage, waiting to run freely, When I next go out I will test to see if there is a difference in revs in and out of gear. If there was what would that mean .

many thank

Hi Tony, I don't think she is slow to increase but I have nothing to compare to so I wouldn't know. She;s like a tiger in a cage, waiting to run freely, When I next go out I will test to see if there is a difference in revs in and out of gear. If there was what would that mean .

many thank

She's not a Lister Jaguar or a Leyland Leopard then ? unsure.png

Edited by bizzard

Many thank yous for that info. This has had me scratching my head for the last couple of weeks .The reason for asking is

the river is running faster so I Was hoping to squeeze a bit more power out of her, however you have made me realise that speed and power are perhaps slightly different.

If I wanted to gain more power out of her would that be possible.

I Thought that a bit of tweaking here and there would achieve my goal of gaining a bit more oomph.

When i'm holding the throttle down, it resists and the revs go down so I sit on top of the cabin and rest my foot on throttle which keeps the revs up, so this why I ask.

She feels like she has more to give , if you know what I mean.

I Really enjoy learning how this engine works and so I thank you for your help

Sounds like the control lever rather than the engine; on a boat I was delivering, when opened up, the control lever would creep back towards tickover.

I hung a piling hook (nappy pin) from the lever, the extra weight held it down.

many thank

First check is to ensure that the external speed control on the engine (to the left of the pump coverplate that you've taken off) is operating to it's full extent with the throttle lever set at max speed. If not adjust the control cable and external linkage so that it does. If adjustment is needed, carry out the necessary adjustments and then run up and see if it's made any difference. If adjustment is either unnecessary or doesn't make any difference, move on to the following checks with the engine running.

If it's slow to pick up revs and doesn't reach max governed revs in gear then it's either overloaded (over propped) or the max fuel delivery stop is incorrectly set. An oversized or over pitch propeller would be accompanied by black smoke at the max revs the engine is achieving, but if there isn't any smoke when the engine isn't achieving max governed revs in gear, then the max fuel delivery stop is not set correctly and the problem is underfuelling.

Ideally you should be checking rpm when under and off load with a hand held rev counter, but if you haven't got one you'll get a fair indication by running up to max rpm in gear and then listening for a significant increase in revs when you take it out of gear with the throttle still set to max speed.

If it would help, I can PM you my phone number, then you can ring me while your doing these checks, and I can talk you through what to do.

Sounds like the control lever rather than the engine; on a boat I was delivering, when opened up, the control lever would creep back towards tickover.

I hung a piling hook (nappy pin) from the lever, the extra weight held it down.

Sounds very similar, Ive been tinkering with the control but no undue pressure here . I do think the controls need sorting but will leave that until last.

First check is to ensure that the external speed control on the engine (to the left of the pump coverplate that you've taken off) is operating to it's full extent with the throttle lever set at max speed. If not adjust the control cable and external linkage so that it does. If adjustment is needed, carry out the necessary adjustments and then run up and see if it's made any difference. If adjustment is either unnecessary or doesn't make any difference, move on to the following checks with the engine running.

If it's slow to pick up revs and doesn't reach max governed revs in gear then it's either overloaded (over propped) or the max fuel delivery stop is incorrectly set. An oversized or over pitch propeller would be accompanied by black smoke at the max revs the engine is achieving, but if there isn't any smoke when the engine isn't achieving max governed revs in gear, then the max fuel delivery stop is not set correctly and the problem is underfuelling.

Ideally you should be checking rpm when under and off load with a hand held rev counter, but if you haven't got one you'll get a fair indication by running up to max rpm in gear and then listening for a significant increase in revs when you take it out of gear with the throttle still set to max speed.

If it would help, I can PM you my phone number, then you can ring me while your doing these checks, and I can talk you through what to do.

You know what Tony, I think you may have hit the nail as it seems as though the spindle isn't extending,if I unhook the lever and undo the trunnion the spindle extends a lot further which makes me think that I alter the position of the trunnion. At the moment the trunnion is wound all the way up, which I think is putting undue pressure on the speeder spring (not good I think).

I'm quite sure its not slow to pick up revs and there isn't any black smoke when in high revs just a bluey grey smoke which can hardly be seen unless it catches the sunlight.

Ive never heard of a hand held rev counter so I will do the check in and out of gear.

I'm going to pop down the boat now , move the trunnion , mess with the lever and see what happens.

thank you very much Tony,I really appreciate your help and also your offer, right I'm off now , be in touch later.

regards nick

• Greenie 1

I think is putting undue pressure on the speeder spring (not good I think).

That doesn't make any sense. Pulling the rod pulls the speeder spring against the force from the governor and determines the engine speed. And that's it

Richard

That doesn't make any sense. Pulling the rod pulls the speeder spring against the force from the governor and determines the engine speed. And that's it

Richard

I often don't make sence but if I can explain it might.

On page 37 of the manual it says "The speeder spring must not exert any force when the engine is idling."

I thought the speeder spring was exerting a force that was meant to be absorbed by the idling spring whilst the engine is idling. Also a while ago I tightened the trunnion on the lever that pulls the rod to improve the engine speed whilst idling.

I've just got back from the boat . I've removed the lever to check that the rod is moving freely, then put lever back and then slackened the trunnion on the lever,started her up and as expected she ran a lot slower barely running at all .

I Interpret this as the speeder spring was to tight and the idling control sleeve was to slack. but i can't find the idling control adjusting sleeve pt no 204-21480 it or the idling control nut , all i can see is two shackles with a threaded rod connected to one of them and the spring.

This all brings me back around to my original post.

regards nick