cable overkill

Featured Posts

hi all, i`m first fixing my services on my nb,and just looking at cable size for my fridge, i`m going for a standed fridge witch draws about 5 amps,the fridge is about 7 metres from batteries so i was going to run 9mm cable, is this overkill, or should i go with 6mm, many thanks,

Don't forget that whilst your fridge is physically 7 metres away from your batteries, 'electrically' it is 14 metres (there & back)

Assuming it is 12v - looking at my Waeco fridge installation manual 7 metres would require a minimum of 6mm2 and 14 metres would require 10mm2.

"Overkill" will have no detrimental effect, except to your pocket.

Edit :

Just to confirm we are talking about the same units.

10mm is the area of the copper conductor, not the diameter of the copper, or the outer diameter of the cable

Edited by Alan de Enfield

hi all, i`m first fixing my services on my nb,and just looking at cable size for my fridge, i`m going for a standed fridge witch draws about 5 amps,the fridge is about 7 metres from batteries so i was going to run 9mm cable, is this overkill, or should i go with 6mm, many thanks,

9mm2 is not standard cable size nearest would be 10 mm2. As Alan said make sure you are looking at the conductor size or cross sectional area (csa) in square mm not the diameter.