12 volt cable

kevinshaw

Featured Posts

What got me was all our emergency systems were in MICC, Lights, Alarms, tannoy etc. to be fire proof, You can guess the problems vibration caused.

In days gone by when I worked in the technical department for a 'cable manufacturer' I invented and patented a fire-proof (semi) flexible cable (however, being an employee I had signed that anything I invented became the property of the company so apart from a 'well done' received 'nothing' from its invention). It complied with IEC331 which, from memory, involved retaining its integrity for over one hour when subject to a flame at 750oC

It is now widely used in fire alarm installations.

........... being an employee I had signed that anything I invented became the property of the company so apart from a 'well done' received 'nothing' from its invention..........

Don't feel too bad about only getting a 'well done', my employer never said 'well done' or 'thank you' for a few patents my name was on, but they did give me £1 for each one for giving up my rights. Would have much prefered a 'thank you'.

In days gone by when I worked in the technical department for a 'cable manufacturer' I invented and patented a fire-proof (semi) flexible cable (however, being an employee I had signed that anything I invented became the property of the company so apart from a 'well done' received 'nothing' from its invention). It complied with IEC331 which, from memory, involved retaining its integrity for over one hour when subject to a flame at 750oC

FP200?

It is a tricky one. I have seen domestic twin and earth cable used (not necessarily ideally) in far worse conditions than would ever be met on a canal boat, yet it survived. The worst I remember was it had been used to feed a compressor instead of flexible cable.

Now I know it is not recommended on boats, but I remember the Isle of Man ferries used MICC cable, which is basically single strand cable.

I would only use it for a lash up personally perhaps temporary to test something out.

No regular passenger of the IOM Steam Packet would use it as an example of reliability.

Wot? Not even an annual salary of many thousands of Pounds??!!

I don't understand your post.

The implication in the post that I was responding to was that the Steam Packet (IOM ferry) used MICC cable, and that it was therefore OK to do so.

As a former regular passenger, I found the service to be very unreliable, so I feel it would be unwise to draw any positive conclusions from the fact that the Steam Packet choose to do something in any particular way.

In fairness, the weather in the Irish Sea is not always calm, but quite a lot of missed or aborted sailings were attributable to incompetence rather than stormy seas.

I hope you are now better informed, if not wiser.

The implication in the post that I was responding to was that the Steam Packet (IOM ferry) used MICC cable, and that it was therefore OK to do so.

As a former regular passenger, I found the service to be very unreliable, so I feel it would be unwise to draw any positive conclusions from the fact that the Steam Packet choose to do something in any particular way.

In fairness, the weather in the Irish Sea is not always calm, but quite a lot of missed or aborted sailings were attributable to incompetence rather than stormy seas.

I hope you are now better informed, if not wiser.

In fairness I never said it was OK to do so, just saying what I had seen. I think you are reading a bit more into that than I actually said. If you read post 21 (for example) you will see that I agreed with Ditchcrawler when he called the idea into question.

By the same token I am glad you saw the MICC on these boats, since when I have mentioned it in the past, I was told I must be mistaken.

Edited by Guest